Significance of 3gbps/6gbps?

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Significance of 3gbps/6gbps?

Postby Corpse » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:56 pm

What influence on a computer's performance would having a 6 gbps motherboard and hard drive have over having 3gbps ones?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Re: Significance of 3gbps/6gbps?

Postby KOko » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:28 pm

You will feel even more cheated when you find it works just like 300Mbps ones... oh... I meant 150Mbps ones, sorry
Retired member of SWGO 2006~2011.
KOko
Community Member

Postby toad » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:09 pm

The newer 6g hard drives have faster transfer speeds, even in 3g connectors, than the older drives. 6g + SSD = Heaven btw. If your buying new but the latest connectors. You will want to kick yourself in 2-3 years if you don't.
|=======================================================|
toad
Community Member

Postby Yanoda » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:30 pm

I assume you're talking about SATA 300 and SATA 600.
From what I gathered is that there is no considerable difference between 6Gps and 3Gps since the current hard drives can't achieve these speeds yet.
Current SSDs are approaching the 3Gps speeds so in the near future SSDs will benefit from that, but at a considerably higher cost than normal HDD.
If you'll be using SSDs then the 6Gps will be logical, if you'll be using HDDs, then 3Gps will be sufficient for a considerable amount of time (2-5 years maybe).

Hope this helped.

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby toad » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:55 pm

Yanoda wrote:I assume you're talking about SATA 300 and SATA 600.
From what I gathered is that there is no considerable difference between 6Gps and 3Gps since the current hard drives can't achieve these speeds yet.
Current SSDs are approaching the 3Gps speeds so in the near future SSDs will benefit from that, but at a considerably higher cost than normal HDD.
If you'll be using SSDs then the 6Gps will be logical, if you'll be using HDDs, then 3Gps will be sufficient for a considerable amount of time (2-5 years maybe).

Hope this helped.

Cheers

Yanoda

True with the exception of the SSD part and you missed one point. Newer SSDs are already past the 3g limit. The newer 6g hard drives have faster transfer rates, even in 3g connections.
|=======================================================|
toad
Community Member

Return to Tech support