Can I run BF3?

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: Can I run BF3?

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 am

Okay Swine after the online shop links you sent me iv'e come to this:

Between grafic cards i'd recomend either the 550GTX TI wich costs 120Pounds here
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/evga-geforce-gtx-550-ti-pci-e-2-0-graphics-card-1gb-11336640-pdt.html

Besides the 550GTX TI i'd rather recomend the 560GTX but this will depend on your price buget
The 560GTX asus wich i have as well is 148pounds here:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-nvidia-engtx560-pci-e-2-0-graphics-card-1gb-11284274-pdt.html

Since your upgrading your PC your gonna need that power supply....so i found 2 of them wich are both very interesting since their both corsairs(note: corsair is nowadays one of the top brands in PC components in RAM and Power supplies)
The first one is a 600W corsair with 2 6-pins wich are needed for your grafic card the 600W is at 50Pounds
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/corsair-gaming-series-gs600-600w-power-supply-unit-07656696-pdt.html

The second one is the same version but it's simply 700Watts wich would ensure your computer is preped for any future changes as you told me on steam the 560GTX with your sistem will require a MINIMUM of 550Watts.
However the second one is 10 pounds more expensive, but 100Watts more power for 10 Extra pounds seem like a good deal...
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/corsair-gaming-series-gs700-700w-power-supply-unit-07656749-pdt.html

So from my recomendation your looking at either 120Pounds +50/60 pounds = 170/180pounds for a 550GTX + 600/700Watt supply
OR
148Pounds + 50/60 pounds(in this case i recomend the 60) wich would be 208pounds for a 560GTX+ 700Watt corsair supply wich would "technicly" leave your PC ready for BF3 at full power...

Possible problems:
Your Motherboard may not support PCI Express X16 2.0 and only support 1.0
Your Motherboard may support PCI Express X16 2.0 but the integrated software may not suport it
Your PC case may be too small for the upgrade
Your Motherboard may be a piece of junk that needs replacement :lol:
Your Ram may be needing an upgrade soon
A noisy PC
Temperature increasement

I say MEH too much words on this post...soon people will call me dread....anyhow

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:18 am

Yanoda wrote:Do you know any good online PC component stores in the UK that I can check?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Yanoda » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 am

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:http://www.pcworld.co.uk/

Thx MT. Unfortunately they do not Offer 68xx Cards, apart from one XFX card, any others?
You may not be fond of the AMD/ATI GPUs but we should also consider them since they are slightly cheaper in price and more affordable with a good performance for Swine.

I'm 95% confident Swine has a PCI Express 2.0 slot, since most Intel 1156 socket motherboards come with it and his current GPU is a PCI Express 2.0 Card as well.

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby SWINE FLU » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:00 pm

@ Yanoda

PC World is Expensive World; you should be able to get everything from amazon.co.uk

My case is about 265mm- if I measured it correctly. (By case did you mean the space for the new card to go in?)

Preferences:
1) I'm really not bothered about the manufacturer; as long as it does its job, and does it well.
2) I was talking to Minas, and we found out that the GTX 560 could work. But that is expensive; I would like it, but if there's a similar card with similar performance for a better price then I'd probably go for that one.
3) Not sure.
4) I obviously don't want it getting too hot, but there is sufficient air flow.
5) 1920x1080
6) I would like it tidy enough to see where things go. I don't mind about the types of PSU; I would like the cheaper versions though.
7) Only if needs be.
8) Not too noisy, but I can cope with some noise.

About the space, if I have less space with the card taking up a lot of space then would this increase the temperature to potentially dangerous levels? Also,

@Minas:
I quite like the 2nd option you gave me (£208).

You mentioned something about RAM... would you guys recommend that I get a RAM upgrade or not?

I appreciate you guys helping me, even if I may be showing my ignorance on this subject.

[09:24] -SR-Mandalore: we should just marry each other

X-Fire: swineflu13
Steam ID: iamswineflu
Origin ID: The_Spaniard

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Thomas Wayne - Batman Series
SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: swineflu13

Postby haasd0gg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Every computer I built was at the lowest prices from newegg and tigerdirect.
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:16 pm

SWINE FLU wrote:@ Yanoda
PC World is Expensive World; you should be able to get everything from amazon.co.uk
My case is about 265mm- if I measured it correctly. (By case did you mean the space for the new card to go in?)

5) 1920x1080
8) Not too noisy, but I can cope with some noise.

About the space, if I have less space with the card taking up a lot of space then would this increase the temperature to potentially dangerous levels? Also,

@Minas:
I quite like the 2nd option you gave me (£208).
You mentioned something about RAM... would you guys recommend that I get a RAM upgrade or not?

1- I checked amazon, and all the components are more expensive, the only power supply they offer off any interest is this 650W corsair
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Power-Supply-Version-CMPSU-650TXUK/dp/B000Z7KHLA/ref=sr_1_106?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1319468570&sr=1-106
Wich being 650 and not 700watts is more expensive then the 700watt one from pcworld

2- I believe yanoda means this
3- "1920x1080" Then i do recomend the 560GTX over the 550GTX
4- Get headphones
5- Yes i mencioned RAM before, your Ram memory is currently 3GB at DDR3 wich isn't bad but like i said it will require an upgrade in the FUTURE...i'm at 4GB ram and i'm afraid that soon ill be lacking as well, but in you case it's mainly the Graffic card

Also i did check his motherboard and since his current card is PCI Express 2.0 it's logical since it's been bought like that from the shop that his motherboard supports PCI Express 2.0 meaning it's fully compatible with the 560GTX
As in dimencions i calculated it and your good but you only got 1.5CM space between the metal and the GPU so...that's em well :grrr:

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Yanoda » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Ok after reading your preferences and checking several sites and prices with the cheapest and most optimal combinations for you:
Amazon.co.uk with the best prices so far.
Items:
PSU:
OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro Power Supply, good manufacturer (I have OCZ for PSU as well), efficient, reliable and modular.
Price: 55 pounds (free shipping).
OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro Power Supply, same as above.
Price: 75 pounds (free shipping).

GPU:
Sapphire 11180-00-40R HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card, Sapphire is a good company (Best for ATI/AMD GPUs IMHO). Performance is good, cool and good price, 2 year warranty.
Price: 117 pounds (free shipping)
EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR Nvidia GTX560 1GB 256-Bit GDDR5 Graphics Card, EVGA is a great company for Nvidia cards, 3 year warranty (with online registration), best performance GPU for your category, cool.
Price: 143 pounds (free shipping)

Price range: 172 - 218 pounds, did MT include the shipping costs with his prices?

GTX 560 will perform slightly better, little more expensive, higher power consumption (~25W) and slightly warmer temps (1-3' C) than the HD 6850. Both will perform well with your resolution of 1920x1080.

Graphic card size in your case will not be the deciding factor in temperature increases. If air flow is not blocked and moved efficiently, temperatures should be not a problem with the GPUs above. having 2-3 case fans should be enough.
The minimum RAM requirements for BF3 is 2 Gb, your 3 Gb RAM will be sufficient but you may get the occasional lag. Amazon offers cheap 4 Gb RAM for 20 pounds or you can get cheap 8 Gb RAM for 40 pounds.

Hope this helped you Swine

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby SWINE FLU » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks for the info Yanoda, I'll be looking at all the choices today and thinking which is best.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Thomas Wayne - Batman Series
SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (Rogue).ltc.dan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:16 pm

SWINE FLU wrote:CPU: Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 3.0
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB

I managed to play the Beta on low settings, I was just wondering if you guys could share any light on whether it will be worth buying it.

Actually i believe you can with no problems.
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/rogueltc/[/url]
(Rogue).ltc.dan
Community Member

Xfire: rogue2345
Steam ID: ltc.dan

Postby SWINE FLU » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:17 pm

(Rogue).ltc.dan.(SWGO) wrote:
SWINE FLU wrote:CPU: Intel Core i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 3.0
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 512MB

I managed to play the Beta on low settings, I was just wondering if you guys could share any light on whether it will be worth buying it.

Actually i believe you can with no problems.

Yeah, I know I can, but I know that it'll be on low-med settings. I'd like to play it on high.

SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tech support