Graphics card installation issue

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Graphics card installation issue

Postby Ewok » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:04 am

I got my new graphics card for Christmas (XFX Radeon HD 6750) It needed a at least a 450w PSU. So today I went out to the store and bought a nice Antec 500w.
I removed the old one and screwed in the new one and plugged everything in and added my graphics card and connected it with the 6-pin cable from the new PSU. Then I connected the moniter with the DVI cable, then I started the computer and it turned on but no image went on the screen and everything was running, the motherboard light went on, DVD drives worked, and the fan on the graphics card that I installed works. The old graphic card doesn't even work now. Then i tried HDMI on my TV, still nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Ewok
Community Member

Xfire: ewok24
Steam ID: ewok2_4

Re: Graphics card installation issue

Postby WD-40 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:27 am

Ummm...I may be wrong here, but you made no mention of a Graphics 'Driver'. Usually, I think, a piece a 'hardware', like the card you installed, requires software to drive it. Did you install any disc software, or download software to go with it?

Like I said, I may be messed up, but all hardware I've ever installed requires software to tell it what to do.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby haasd0gg » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:41 am

Check your BIOS and make sure the slot is turned on.
Also make sure the card is seated properly- don't be afraid to give a good push.
Make sure the cables are connected properly :whistling:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:21 am

@WD

Your right on one part but wrong on the other.
Ussually when you install a new grafic card what you do is you turn on the pc uninstall the old driver restart and install the new one, even tough the resolution will be off your screen sould work.

@Ewok

Try doing what haas said, also check if the ventilator of the GPU is working.
Also if DVI doesn't work get a connector to VGA, and check wich DVI port you insterted the cable in.

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Yanoda » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Did you uninstall the old driver prior to installing the new card? If no, it could cause some problems. Though it is weird that your old card doesn't work now either.
During installation, did you:
Ground yourself so that static doesn't occur? If no, it could be that components could be damaged that way (even if you didn't feel a shock).
Make sure everything is installed firmly (no loose connection).
If the 6-Pin power cable for the Graphic Card supply enough Amps? If no, it could cause instabilities with the card.
Do you have an integrated Graphic Card with the Motherboard? If yes, set it as default in BIOS (connected to monitor) and install the driver for the new card. Restart, go back to BIOS and set the new card as default.

If nothing works, you could go to a computer store (Best Buy, CompUSA etc. for example) and ask them if they could check it for you.

Hopefully it will be resolved

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby Ewok » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:42 pm

That's what I thought, so I'm just going to install the old PSU and graphics card and hope that works, then install the new drivers.
I did ground myself. I worked in my kitchen and touched the metal case quite often.

(Solved) Wasn't a driver issue. I just forgot a 4-pin next to my RAM. After i got that in everything started working perfectly. Thanks for the help everyone!
Ewok
Community Member

Xfire: ewok24
Steam ID: ewok2_4

Return to Tech support