Graphics card dying?

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: Graphics card dying?

Postby SuperHappyMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 am

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102940

Only advice I can give, really. Sounds like your card is croaking, and after so many years it's no huge surprise. That card will get you a massive performance increase for a relatively cheap price, although it's rather large- if you don't feel your case have enough space or if your power supply is under 450-500W, then I can try and find a different one for you.
SuperHappyMan
Community Member

Postby Commander Sparrow » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks, that seems like a good card and it's cheap. I think it'd fit inside but my power supply is 400W.
Commander Sparrow
Community Member

Xfire: jacksparrowcaptain

Postby Yanoda » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:24 pm

If you want a decent card, you may want to upgrade your PSU as well since 400W will only support the low end cards now a days (with some exceptions).
What are the specs of the PSU?
If you're willing to make an upgrade to PSU and a new G-card, what will your budget roughly be?
If your current PSU is good enough, it may be able to handle a GTX 550Ti, but that could push the PSU to its limit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125410

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby WD-40 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:13 pm

…and when you buy that 'Decent Graphics Card'…Don't forget you will need that 'all important':
Unknown.jpg
Unknown.jpg (5.19 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Commander Sparrow » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:14 pm

Yanoda wrote:If you want a decent card, you may want to upgrade your PSU as well since 400W will only support the low end cards now a days (with some exceptions).
What are the specs of the PSU?
If you're willing to make an upgrade to PSU and a new G-card, what will your budget roughly be?
If your current PSU is good enough, it may be able to handle a GTX 550Ti, but that could push the PSU to its limit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125410

Cheers

Yanoda

I'm not quite sure what the specs are. The only thing that I can see from this box is:

-Dual 12V rails output
-ATX 12V compliant
-Comply with Intel and AMD
-Smart cooling fan with low noise

It did cost me RM200 which is about $66. I found another PSU at Ebay, the specs are:

http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/NEW-750w-750-watt-Quiet-PC-ATX-PSU-Power-Supply-Unit-/130390692981?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item1e5be41475#ht_3663wt_992

It costs RM164.58 + and additional 93.02 for shipping. That should come up to approximately RM257, which is approx $85

Comparing the 400W I have now and the one on Ebay (750W) I don't know if I was ripped off or not. Then again, I'm not exactly the smartest guy when it comes to computers and it's hardware but I do know a thing or two.

I think the price range for a PC upgrade would be under RM600-800 or $200 - $400.

And thanks again for the help guys.
Commander Sparrow
Community Member

Xfire: jacksparrowcaptain

Postby SuperHappyMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:01 pm

NOPE. Corsair. Always go Corsair with PSUs, and for the love of god don't go for Ebay. Newegg has a lot of very good bundles and sales and [poo], and you don't have to worry about the inside of the box being filled with dog [poo] when it gets there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139023

It's a tad pricey, but for that cash you not only get a solid PSU, but you also have room to upgrade further down the line.

and it's got blue lights and [poo] what else do you want
SuperHappyMan
Community Member

Postby Yanoda » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:28 pm

SuperHappyMan, you have to realize that Sparrow is in Malaysia and newegg is not available here.

I am not sure what PSU's you'll be able to get but like HappyMan said, get a good quality PSU. It is considered the most important component of a PC.
This is an accurate list about the brands and types of PSUs: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Unfortunately the brand of the PSU you showed is not in the list...
My PSU is an OCZ StealthXStreme 700W and has done well for almost 3 years now.
If you're going for a >700W PSU, then you definitely can/should get a good G-card. AMD HD 6800 series are good and the Nvidia GTX 560 is also a solid card (I currently own it).
What card length can your Case support? Since the cards can vary in sizes.
What resolution(s) will you be using while and off gaming? HD 6xxx are better in high resolutions than GTX 5xx series.
Do you like having great graphics (max settings) in games or are you content with decent graphics (medium-high settings)? GTX 5xx tend to run better at high graphic settings than HD 6xxx.
If you're going to make 3-D models, the Nvidia cards tend to be better than the ATI/AMD cards.

Last question, what brands can you get for both PSU and Cards? Recommended G-Card Brands (off the top of my head) are: EVGA, MSI, Sapphire, ASUS, XFX.

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Postby SuperHappyMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Yanoda wrote:SuperHappyMan, you have to realize that Sparrow is in Malaysia and newegg is not available here.

This is an absolute [m'kay] travesty, and I am now going to sue Malaysia for being [poo].
SuperHappyMan
Community Member

Postby Yanoda » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:56 pm

SuperHappyMan wrote:This is an absolute [m'kay] travesty, and I am now going to sue Malaysia for being [poo].

Mind if you sue Europe as well? That would be awesome.

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Postby SuperHappyMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Yanoda wrote:
SuperHappyMan wrote:This is an absolute [m'kay] travesty, and I am now going to sue Malaysia for being [poo].

Mind if you sue Europe as well? That would be awesome.

Cheers

Yanoda

The whole thing? [poo], looks like i'll have to call in a favor from Russia...
SuperHappyMan
Community Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tech support