Christmas present question

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Christmas present question

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:14 pm

Question, will this....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-15.6- ... 8/21777758
play this....
http://www.ign.com/games/scribblenauts- ... /pc-135828
without killing the laptop?

I'm hesitant because a few years ago I gave Matthew my old laptop and he played Roblox on it for awhile and I believe it burned up the motherboard from the demand of the game. I could be wrong about that, but it sure seemed that way.

Matthew hasn't been on this forum in a year, I hope he doesn't wander in here....lol.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Re: Christmas present question

Postby [m'kay] » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:40 pm

I doubt it, honestly. If I were you, i'd try to either shell out another 200$ for a better laptop, or if that's not an option then just buy Matthew one of those weird things where there's a ball on a string and you gotta get it to land on the stick. Hours of fun, no motherboard required.

Seriously though, at that point i'd suggest getting a 300$ desktop. Unless laptops are seriously, honest to god 100% necessary, a 300$ laptop is about as powerful as a 50$ desktop. You have to seriously shell out cash if you want a decent gaming laptop. Even if you're just running Scribblenauts.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby CommanderOtto » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:43 pm

MATTHEW'S_DAD wrote:Question, will this....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-15.6- ... 8/21777758
play this....
http://www.ign.com/games/scribblenauts- ... /pc-135828
without killing the laptop?

I'm hesitant because a few years ago I gave Matthew my old laptop and he played Roblox on it for awhile and I believe it burned up the motherboard from the demand of the game. I could be wrong about that, but it sure seemed that way.

Matthew hasn't been on this forum in a year, I hope he doesn't wander in here....lol.

hahaha *mathew logs in*

here's the game's system requirements, got it on yahoo answers lol, although you should be able to find it on steam.

Processor: AMD Atholon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: ATI X1800 or better / nVidia 7800 or better / Intel 4100 or better. 256MB Video RAM. Shader 3.0 or better
DirectX®: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 2 GB HD space
Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection
Source(s):
Steam

on the ram memory, your new laptop looks ok but i'm not sure about the graphics card, i'm no expert there. Anyway, I don't think scribblenauts is going to be a problem to any computer. Still, if someone can confirm if the graphics card can handle it, that would be great.

EDIT: and oh... regarding M'kay... he's right about that. You know, you are better off buying a desktop, you get like 2x the power of a laptop for the same price.
Last edited by CommanderOtto on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:51 pm

or if you have plenty of dosh or more sense than money:

http://www.originpc.com/Desktops/Gaming ... YSTEMID=15
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Postby WD-40 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:33 pm

If your boy is a 'gamer' MD, go as high end as you can and get a desktop. Laptops cannot be upgraded without headaches, and most cannot be upgraded.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:05 pm

WD-40 wrote:If your boy is a 'gamer' MD, go as high end as you can and get a desktop. Laptops cannot be upgraded without headaches, and most cannot be upgraded.

I agree here, laptops aren't generally good for gaming, and if their built for gaming they cost 3 times what a desktop would while having a small screen.
And if something needs upgrading or replacing, generally your overpaying or having to ditch the system.

So i'm wondering, WD you still using that laptop? :mrgreen:

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby WD-40 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:41 pm

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:
WD-40 wrote:If your boy is a 'gamer' MD, go as high end as you can and get a desktop. Laptops cannot be upgraded without headaches, and most cannot be upgraded.

I agree here, laptops aren't generally good for gaming, and if their built for gaming they cost 3 times what a desktop would while having a small screen.
And if something needs upgrading or replacing, generally your overpaying or having to ditch the system.

So i'm wondering, WD you still using that laptop? :mrgreen:

MT

Yep...that P.O.S. is only good for BF2. Anything more modern it is useless. And to frustrate me more, it got dropped the other day onto the pavement by a flight support entity in LA during a visit while loading baggage, so it's in the repair shop for repair of the start button area. No play...no fun. Using my wife's desktop to visit the forum which is forbidden to have 'gaming' on it...even though it's a MAC and much more advanced than my laptop...lesson learned?...Stay single 'Gamers'!
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm not really getting it for gaming, but I know he's going to want to play that. I'll keep looking for a desktop.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby [m'kay] » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Keep it to games like BF2 and maybe games a couple of years newer, and this should work pretty well. It's about 70$ more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883155365
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby Brazosgrad » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:51 am

What he said.... or build your own, though you'd be hard pressed to build anything close to this Dell for this cost.

[m'kay] wrote:Keep it to games like BF2 and maybe games a couple of years newer, and this should work pretty well. It's about 70$ more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883155365
Brazosgrad incognito
Brazosgrad
SWBF2 Admin

Next

Return to Tech support