Windows 8

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: Windows 8

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback, what i keep hearing as well is that Win8 is supposed to be really fast, which may improve gameplay.

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby 11_Panama_ » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:37 pm

I have it and I hate it. I hate the fact that the programs are called apps. It took me awhile to find the programs. I also hate the Task Manager on Win 8...my mouse cursor disappears and I have to shut down my comp to get out of the screen.
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 pm

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:Thanks for the feedback, what i keep hearing as well is that Win8 is supposed to be really fast, which may improve gameplay.

MT

The operating system isn't really going to affect your games. Their performance is based on hardware, not on how smoothly the Windows interface runs. Eventually it will become the better platform just by weight of DX11.1 and new drivers, but that's a few years off.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby 11_Panama_ » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:23 pm

I envy you tech savvy dudes. :oldman:
11_Panama_
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: delta11panama

Postby Brazosgrad » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:30 pm

I dunno. the squares remind me of Andy Warhol and 1968 for some reason. There's a reason buttons are round and Andy is dead. May not be the same reason, but meh...it works.
Brazosgrad incognito
Brazosgrad
SWBF2 Admin

Postby wcocaboose » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:55 am

Sorry to necro a thread that has not seen a reply for a few days, but thought I would chime in here.

I've been running Windows 8 on my desktop off and on since it first hit Consumer Preview in Feb of last year; and had my full retail copy of Win 8 Pro on the first day of general availability.

The os is not perfect by any standards(what software product ever is), it has some bad things going against it, and some good things going for it.

Firstly I still have not grown to fully accept its Metro interface as of yet. I can navigate it easily with the mouse, and have most of the more useful keyboard shortcuts figured out. The interface to me is Win 8's biggest drawback, I like the traditional start menu better. That being said there are programs like Star8 that will give you the real start menu back.

Most of the changes that really make a difference in Win 8 are under the hood, and not readily apparent to the end user unless you run around with a stop watch. Startup and shutdown times are significantly improved, the USB sub system appears to have had a major overhaul resulting in improved file copies with more accurate estimations of completion. Hyper-V, which is the Microsoft software stack for creating and running virtual machines is included with the Pro version(Though you must have a Core i7 or newer cpu to use it). As well as DirectX 11.1 being included out of the box; Nvidia does not yet fully support 11.1, ATI claims full 11.1 support at this time.

As to the idea of the OS having no effect on game performance, rewind to the Windows Vista launch; nuff said :mrgreen:

Windows 8 in my opinion takes the stable foundation Win 7 offered, and adds more to it. Though Metro really is almost more of a drawback than its worth.
A day does not define us; we define the day. Today only happens once. Win it!
wcocaboose
Site Admin

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 am

No problem i appreciate the feedback.
I used to have issues in-time with boot and shutdown of my Win7 ever since i switched to an SSD drive and have a 1TB HHD to have all my solid files on, my bootup has been under 10seconds(it takes me more time to write in my PW then the actual bootup) and shutdown is near 3 seconds....
Then again going from 30MB/s Write and reads to around 500MB/s does make a huge difference

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby WD-40 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:45 pm

One of my daughters just bought a new laptop with windows 8 installed. It is without a doubt, one of the worst things I've seen Microsoft do to windows. Aside from the cheesy design, it took away the start button. That made navigating damn near impossible to do. The start button was so easy to find things with, so they took away One of its best aspects. Personally, I hated using it.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby CommanderOtto » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm

WD-40 wrote:One of my daughters just bought a new laptop with windows 8 installed. It is without a doubt, one of the worst things I've seen Microsoft do to windows. Aside from the cheesy design, it took away the start button. That made navigating damn near impossible to do. The start button was so easy to find things with, so they took away One of its best aspects. Personally, I hated using it.

well I think it's still the same. You just need to scroll to the right to find the programs. but yeah, I still miss the start button.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Previous

Return to Tech support