Best Gaming Laptop for $1,000 - $1,200?

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: Best Gaming Laptop for $1,000 - $1,200?

Postby Yanoda » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:04 pm

WD-40 wrote:(I swore off Dell...can't stand that product). It reports as a decent gaming laptop, but the only downsides is Bloatware, and slow boot up time due to a slow 5,800 rpm hard drive. How does that speed of hard drive affect gaming itself? Also, trying to ascertain whether it's quad-core.

I did not notice much difference in gaming when using a 5800 rpm versus a 7200 rpm hard-drive. The only noticeable difference are quicker boot up and loading times with the 7200 rpm HDD.
If you want to have a faster HD, you can sell the 1Tb drive and get a faster hard-drive with a bit of less storage space, but that could void the warranty.
The Intel Core i7-3610QM is a quad-core that has 8 threads. That means it has 8 virtual cores that enable more multitasking when needed.
It is true that there is bloatware included, but that is with most pre-made PCs or laptops. Just spend a bit of time deleting the unnecessary programs/software and it should be good to go.

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby WD-40 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Yanoda wrote:
WD-40 wrote:(I swore off Dell...can't stand that product). It reports as a decent gaming laptop, but the only downsides is Bloatware, and slow boot up time due to a slow 5,800 rpm hard drive. How does that speed of hard drive affect gaming itself? Also, trying to ascertain whether it's quad-core.

I did not notice much difference in gaming when using a 5800 rpm versus a 7200 rpm hard-drive. The only noticeable difference are quicker boot up and loading times with the 7200 rpm HDD.
If you want to have a faster HD, you can sell the 1Tb drive and get a faster hard-drive with a bit of less storage space, but that could void the warranty.
The Intel Core i7-3610QM is a quad-core that has 8 threads. That means it has 8 virtual cores that enable more multitasking when needed.
It is true that there is bloatware included, but that is with most pre-made PCs or laptops. Just spend a bit of time deleting the unnecessary programs/software and it should be good to go.

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers

Yanoda

Yanoda shoots...he scores! :gunsmilie: :punk:

I'm convinced. I just purchased it on NewEgg. Thanks for taking the time to give the info Yan, Otto, Johnny and Wulf.

I'm surprised MT didn't put his opinion on here...He's usually a tech geek more than most.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby Brazosgrad » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:28 pm

I'd say you got a great deal Steve. You can't beat Newegg for combined pricing power. I regularly rely on their customer reviews. Good luck with the install!
Brazosgrad incognito
Brazosgrad
SWBF2 Admin

Postby WD-40 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks Bryce! I'm looking forward to crushing my opponents more efficiently on BF2. Heh heh
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Postby THEWULFMAN » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:26 am

Alienwares are really overpriced and have poor cooling.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 am

Because I'm a bit late for posting here anyhow.
As far as all of this goes i agree with yannies choice, dell i wouldn't take if you payed me.
I wouldn't go for alienware either, Asus are born gaming PC's

About the boot ups and gaming, i don't notice a real difference between the rpms on a HDD disk...
I would recommend you however to get an SSD drive, which should improve boot ups and game performance A LOT on high-end games
Just think logically, try loading a game, or an operating system that has 10-30GB's with a HDD doing 30MB/s while an SSD drive can go to 550MB/s reads your looking at what, 15 times the performance?

Also WD note that I5 and I7 CPU's as far as I'm aware are always "Quad-core's" if I'm not mistaken the I3's were duals

Just take yannies choice while you can, for a laptop it seems a very nice price that goes with a very nice performance
HOWEVER NOTE: It's a Refurbished Laptop
Basically it means someone owned it before, and returned it to Asus within 30 days, this could be due to technical issues or other things.
Asus basically checked it up, and either fixed the issues or found that there were none.
However with this one note the very low warrenty
It may be Asus offers warrenty outside newegg but it's 2AM have to go to work in 4hours so imma check tommorow

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby mrjamwin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:05 am

WD-40 wrote:I had a look at them all, and Yan's is the one that peaks my interest thus far. (I swore off Dell...can't stand that product). It reports as a decent gaming laptop, but the only downsides is Bloatware, and slow boot up time due to a slow 5,800 rpm hard drive. How does that speed of hard drive affect gaming itself? Also, trying to ascertain whether it's quad-core.

It affects how fast a game loads.
mrjamwin
SWBF2 Admin

Postby [m'kay] » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 am

~>Vorpal.Fa.iL.? wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:Yanoda found a great one. Go with that.

Also random thing, never buy Alienware.

Why not Alienware?

This is an Alienware. It looks shiny, cool, and ~wicked sick bro~. It'll run really well for a few months, and then crap out afterwards, leaving you with an annoyed child and a very cool looking useless piece of [poo].

This is a motorcycle. Maybe it's a bit plain, but you know what? It'll [m'kay] get you places, for a long ass time, and if you have to replace parts it's your own [m'kay] up rather than shoddy craftsmanship.

It's pretty simple. Alienwares are terrible motorcycles. Check and mate, [female dog].
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby Yanoda » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 am

WD-40 wrote:Yanoda shoots...he scores! :gunsmilie: :punk:

I'm convinced. I just purchased it on NewEgg. Thanks for taking the time to give the info Yan, Otto, Johnny and Wulf.

I'm surprised MT didn't put his opinion on here...He's usually a tech geek more than most.

Glad to be of help.
Let us know how the laptop is once you were able to try it out a bit. :clap:
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby WD-40 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:12 pm

I will! Thanks again, and thanks MT for opining this. And a special thanks to Narg/(Mkay) for, what could be, a taste of his future book release of "Computers, software and other [poo] for Dummies".
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tech support