Computer Tweaks To Play Battlefront 2

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Re: Computer Tweaks To Play Battlefront 2

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 am

Draigun wrote:One word: crapware.

I just thought of Norton
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Darth Crater » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:54 am

Draigun wrote:*Why you should uninstall anti-virus software: Most users who browse the web in an intelligent manner do not need anti-virus software. Most malware comes from sites that can be easily avoided by using intelligence, i.e. don't click on anything that looks nearly suspicious, don't download mindlessly, think outside the box, install Ad-Block plus, etc..

See, I agree with this advice in principle, but there's a problem with it in practice. The percentage of internet users who think they browse safely is far higher than the percentage who actually do. In effect, you're making things worse off for the people in that gap.

Personally, I run Microsoft Security Essentials, and I don't think it's ever noticeably affected my PC.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby Jedi Power » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am

I do have the latest Norton AV, but that has always been a constant when the game ran fine. Does anyone know a way to disable it during gameplay?
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com
Jedi Power
SWBF2 Admin

Origin ID: SWGO_Jedi_Power

Postby [m'kay] » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Just to be sure, you have tried restarting your router right?
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Jedi Power wrote:I do have the latest Norton AV, but that has always been a constant when the game ran fine. Does anyone know a way to disable it during gameplay?

I just go to the taskbar, click on the small arrow that hides some icons, and I then right click Exit of my antivirus (Kaspersky btw...).

Anyway, I don't think that's your problem. Bf2 has many issues and it doesn't run in my netbook, even though this game is VERY OLD.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Couple of things to try:

1) Run the program in compatibility mode for XP and as the administrator.
2) Depending on your settings it might be worth turning-off IPV6 if you have it set on your network adapter.
3) Make sure you ethernet card's settings have not been changed recently as this can impact upon the quality of gameplay.
4) Check what other processes are running when you open up SWBF2. Look for programs which are taking up a lot of the memory.
5) Norton should give you a performance tab to see how things are working on your PC.
6) Make sure the firewall in Norton is not blocking communication for SWBF2. Make sure Norton is now running update 2 frequently or performing a scan as this can impact the game.
7) Update your graphic and/or sound drivers.
8) If you are running in-line power adapaters check what other electrical devices are running at the same time. If you are not then ignore this point.

There is a futher step to download the XP compatibility mode utility but try the above first.

I hope this helps.

Kren
:action-smiley-043:
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I would also do an Internet Speed Test and see if the speed you are getting is good.... ahh i'm no computer scientist, but sometimes internet speed is a problem since companies do not guarantee giving you what you are paying 100% of the time.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:28 pm

CommanderOtto wrote:I would also do an Internet Speed Test and see if the speed you are getting is good.... ahh i'm no computer scientist, but sometimes internet speed is a problem since companies do not guarantee giving you what you are paying 100% of the time.

....and if you are getting a bad connection you would need to go back to the ISP and/or consider changing it however if nothing else is being impacted it is unlikely that the ISP is at fault but worth checking anyway.

Kren
:action-smiley-043:
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 pm

[m'kay] wrote:Just to be sure, you have tried restarting your router right?

This always seems to help me out.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby Matt-Chicago » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:09 pm

One more thing, trying turning on/off vsync in the in-game settings.
This can cause mouse lag, which bothered me fore several months a while back.
If you video card has advanced settings that allow you to change them for specific programs, check there too for a vsync setting.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

PreviousNext

Return to Tech support