Wireless issue

Having trouble? Our experts may be able to help.

Moderator: Jango_Fred

Wireless issue

Postby Hobo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:51 pm

So my brother abandoned his gaming computer saying it was broken. i restored it back to factory settings, put in the support CD for all the drivers, and everything worked great. then, it wanted me to update windows 6, saying I needed to restart my computer. So I did, it updated without problems, and everything seemed normal. However, the wireless internet stopped working after i updated the os. wired internet works, but I can't connect to the internet at all without an ethernet cable. I've already tried updating the wifi driver, I even went to the manufacturers website and downloaded it from there, but nothing changed. if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks in advance.
Hobo
Community Member

Steam ID: a_hobo_

Re: Wireless issue

Postby Bryant » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:11 am

Which manufactures website did you try? There will probably be a driver from the computer maker, and a driver from the wireless card maker. The former is usually the most compatible and the latter is the most up-to-date, you should try them both. You can also try to completely uninstall the driver through the device manager, and then reinstall the stuff you downloaded or let windows pick a driver automatically (sometimes this can clean up bugs). Without a more detailed explanation of what's wrong, that's all the suggestions I have.
Bryant
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: ssmgbryant

Postby Hobo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:53 am

Bryant wrote:Which manufactures website did you try? There will probably be a driver from the computer maker, and a driver from the wireless card maker. The former is usually the most compatible and the latter is the most up-to-date, you should try them both. You can also try to completely uninstall the driver through the device manager, and then reinstall the stuff you downloaded or let windows pick a driver automatically (sometimes this can clean up bugs). Without a more detailed explanation of what's wrong, that's all the suggestions I have.

I went here. the driver from the support cd that came with the labtop computer reads "Realtek RTL8187SE 802.11g (M17)", which was what i found on the website, the OS being vista x64. What details might you need? the computer is an "alienware m17 - r1"
Hobo
Community Member

Postby Hobo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:29 am

ok so apparently all i needed to do was restart my computer, and for some reason the wireless internet magically started working. this computer is beyond weird, should be a decent learning experience. :geek:
Hobo
Community Member

Postby [NH]Mr.Yankovic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:27 pm

Hobo wrote:So my brother abandoned his gaming computer saying it was broken. i restored it back to factory settings, put in the support CD for all the drivers, and everything worked great. then, it wanted me to update windows 6, saying I needed to restart my computer. So I did, it updated without problems, and everything seemed normal. However, the wireless internet stopped working after i updated the os. wired internet works, but I can't connect to the internet at all without an ethernet cable. I've already tried updating the wifi driver, I even went to the manufacturers website and downloaded it from there, but nothing changed. if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks in advance.

go to "device manager" and open wirless cards/drivers or something similar and update it, yes i know you already tryed, if that doesn't work, right click it and uninstall it, reboot and update it again
Don't Take No Passengers-Rico Rodriguez [NH]Mr.Yankovic Morbid Angel
[NH]Mr.Yankovic
Community Member

Location: Hiding Behind Your Car Peeling Your Licence Plate Sticker Off.
Xfire: mryankovic

Postby haasd0gg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:17 am

[NH]Mr.Yankovic wrote:
Hobo wrote:So my brother abandoned his gaming computer saying it was broken. i restored it back to factory settings, put in the support CD for all the drivers, and everything worked great. then, it wanted me to update windows 6, saying I needed to restart my computer. So I did, it updated without problems, and everything seemed normal. However, the wireless internet stopped working after i updated the os. wired internet works, but I can't connect to the internet at all without an ethernet cable. I've already tried updating the wifi driver, I even went to the manufacturers website and downloaded it from there, but nothing changed. if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks in advance.

go to "device manager" and open wirless cards/drivers or something similar and update it, yes i know you already tryed, if that doesn't work, right click it and uninstall it, reboot and update it again

Hobo wrote:ok so apparently all i needed to do was restart my computer, and for some reason the wireless internet magically started working. this computer is beyond weird, should be a decent learning experience. :geek:

:roll:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Return to Tech support