history?

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: history?

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:34 pm

(SWGO)MinasThirith wrote:If peaple whould see that they cant enter a server because they dont have a path..
than they will dowload it and use it....

Having seen about five attempts to get servers like this up and running, I can tell you this much:

When people see that they can't enter a server, they find a server they CAN enter. As a rule, they do not want to work out what mod is being used, search the internet for said mod, spend hours downloading it, find someone with enough tech skills to install it, and join the 0 to 2 other players who have put in this much effort. They would rather, say, join 20 other people on Hero Assault even if they're a bit tired of the map.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:56 pm

maby so....Yet the countless peaple i hear asking why there is only a mos eisly HA....
Countless peaple press the !NEXTMAP key......

And peaple are tired? thats a small word after 4 years of playing the same HA map.
And it doesent take hours to download...well not if you have a decent internet connection..unlike me

I had to download them whith a 40KB/s connection we are talking 800MB....
And looking at the ping of most im guessing they have at least a 1MB/s connection
800 seconds to enter a new map thats 13 minutes....

well i think we should try it...if peaple see they need to download a pack to enter a better map...then i think they will

Before i joined SWGO i saw a lot of Rhen vhar maps both conquest as HA
the problem was

1- LAAAAAG not ping but serios lag

2- they were not dedicated...if a server is dedicated it runs all time not just when a player makes it

ive seen rhen vhar maps whith up to 15 players....
i just think that for 12$ thats about 8euros(european) a month its worth a try.
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:14 pm

Remember that I'm not simply speculating. I have SEEN this exact project fail, every time, even when the SWBF2 community was more active...

Even if it only takes 30 minutes of overhead to start up (generous, given that players have to find their way to GWL or FileFront, find the right page, perform the download, and install properly), it's still 30 more minutes of effort than the average player is willing to put into things. If we had a core of 10-20 players willing to sign on to this server and play every day, for hours, even if it was empty, it might have a tiny chance of taking off. But we don't.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:17 pm

yes crater no players=fail....
if we get players than that whould be diffrent...

well at least we got 2 already :)
I just wanna give this thing a shot.
12 slots to fill.... ill be back at this.
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Corpse » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:12 pm

8 is the minimum option, which would be just under $8.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:17 pm

hmm it can alwayes be amplified...
I asked around in chat and there are quite some peaple willing to join a diffrent map....
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:45 pm

Again, I point to the difference here - you're basing your projection off words, I'm basing mine off actions. The number of people willing to say they'll join a mod map is always going to be greater than the number willing to go through the motions to actually play, since speech costs them essentially nothing...
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:01 am

indeed but these players have already got the maps installed....a lot of players have...
If players already got the maps what whould prevent them to enter?

and im sure that if peaple see that a Modded map server actually has players they will enter.

ive seen players make Modded map servers...sucesfully
but not dedicated and lag is a factor.
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby (SWGO)Kren » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Ask Matt first and obviously if you do go down this route players will need to fund the server so you need to get a dedicated group of players willinging to fork-out the dosh. I would ask online who will do it then get them to donate up front to pay for the next 3 months in one block. At least that way you have a block booking in place to trial the modded maps.

I would also suggest that if (and the word is 'IF') this does go ahead you think very carefully about which maps you want as some of them are extremely large. My popular favourite is Bespin as there are enough places to climb-up and snipe, duel etc plus the map is not that large so you don't need to hunt for players. This map is a fett (guns only) or duelling map which I am sure might suit some players. I would suggest a poll to agree on which maps are enabled if the server does go live.

Anyway I have seen it fail before, all good intentions and such like but discuss with Matt first, get his approval then reach-out and see who would be willing to fund the server.

Regards,

Kren
:action-smiley-043:
Look at the past to improve the future.
(SWGO)Kren
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: kren1

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:37 pm

(SWGO)Kren wrote:Ask Matt first and obviously if you do go down this route players will need to fund the server so you need to get a dedicated group of players willinging to fork-out the dosh. I would ask online who will do it then get them to donate up front to pay for the next 3 months in one block. At least that way you have a block booking in place to trial the modded maps.

I would also suggest that if (and the word is 'IF') this does go ahead you think very carefully about which maps you want as some of them are extremely large. My popular favourite is Bespin as there are enough places to climb-up and snipe, duel etc plus the map is not that large so you don't need to hunt for players. This map is a fett (guns only) or duelling map which I am sure might suit some players. I would suggest a poll to agree on which maps are enabled if the server does go live.

obviously matts permision whould be needed.
Whitout the SWGO name there is a 0% chance it whould work

Yes i think a poll might be a good idea and your right...we have to be carefull whith maps....
Also i have been thinking...whould peaple like HERO flag team?
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II