Why isnt this a banned name?

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Why isnt this a banned name?

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 pm

Today in HA i was waching that the player "Grundle" we all know him, was killing himself.

I wanted to report him and i told him to stop killng himself and stop being a hef.

Now after seing him do it 4 times i was about to report him and than he asked me WTH i was talking about.

Appearently i didnt see a player called "himself" till that moment.

So every time Grundel killed this player it apeared.

Grundel killed himself

So This was very confusing to me....im sure this might be confusing to other admins.

SO my question is. Why is the name "himself" not a banned name?
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Re: Why isnt this a banned name?

Postby Darth Crater » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:46 pm

... I have no idea, really. I know I've proposed it before. Perhaps the consensus was that it wasn't worth alienating players over, given that it's only a minor inconvenience to admins (this is also the reason we unbanned the Player 1 name).

Also, "other admins"?
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:16 pm

seems there is a part in my previos message missing anyhow.

And your right crator.

player 1 is a problem bacause more than 1 player 1 start playing....

in HA i once saw 4 player 1 at the same time....and 1 of them was ramdom killing everything he saw...so wich one to report?
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Scrumtralescent » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:12 am

When there's multiple Player 1's on the server and one of them is causing trouble, I just kick all of them and tell them to change their name in the reason why they were kicked. Much simpler that way than having to figure out which Player 1 it is.
Scrumtralescent
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: scrum24

Postby WD-40 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:29 am

Dang I'm posting a lot tonight. As for 'Himself', I've seen that name on JBA for quite awhile now. I have NO idea if it's the same dude/dudette using it, but personally, I don't care any more than the name 'Player 1' 'Player 2', etc., as long as they have identifiable hash keys that can be dealt with if the need ever arises. Beyond that..no problem...but that's me. BUT, if I see more than one Player 1, and one of them is glitching, I will ban BOTH of them, or all four. Players should make a name to use instead of being lazy.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:46 am

well wd-40 in jba tk is off.
And ive never seen anyone respawn ever.
But in ha this tends to happen.
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Duel of Fates » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:21 am

I was on when you saw the apparent self killing by Grundle, Val. First thing we look for is the player list, check to see if "himself" is on, then we go from there. Unless "himself" is glitching, or causing problems, I do not see a need to intervene.

As for player 1s that show up, once there are more than one, will try to get their attention and tell them they can pick a name for themselves. If I cannot get their attention nicely, will warn, then kick. Might take a couple of times, but they finally figure it out. I understand we have a whole new batch of players coming in and most of them do not know that they can even put a name in there, so I tend to be lenient with the beginners. Just my two cents worth on the subject.
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby (Rogue).ltc.dan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:27 pm

ya ive seen himself on the *NEW* swgo server i forgot name of it but anyways ya its confusing at least ask him or multiple himselfs to change there names :star-wars-smiley-026:
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/rogueltc/[/url]
(Rogue).ltc.dan
Community Member

Xfire: rogue2345
Steam ID: ltc.dan

Postby Matt-Chicago » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:04 pm

I agree the "himself" name is confusing. I think we should ask that player to change it, even slightly.
Using a capital H would help, like Himself instead of himself.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby KOko » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Yeah Val, admins have this great utility called observation. You just cant trust the chat all the time. Go after the guy you suspect and look what is he doing, it's that easy.

I also agree we should demand from a player using confusin name to change it. Somewhat I am not about careful asking like shy guys, I am more about admin demand from a player to follow some directives. And Yes, I know others will not agree with me.
Retired member of SWGO 2006~2011.
KOko
Community Member

Next

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II