Mouse/Keyboard or game controller?? for SWBF2

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Mouse/Keyboard or game controller?? for SWBF2

Postby deadmeow » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 pm

I use a game controller for SWBF2, as it seems much less complicated than using the mouse and keyboard. However, the mouse/keyboard combo seems to be the default and I think most people stick with this..

So I was curious, which do you all use; mouse/keyboard or game controller, and why?
deadmeow
Community Member

Re: Mouse/Keyboard or game controller?? for SWBF2

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 pm

I use mouse and a keyboard for more then 1 reason.

1- you can add hotkeys
2- You can change the reaction speed of your mouse whithout going to options.
3- Its what a computer is made for to use a keyboard and a mouse.

PS. i whould say that unless you have a ergonomic keyboard and a fast mouse(the basic for this game whould be 2000DPI)
It whould be better to use a controller.
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Matt-Chicago » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 am

I use a gamepad and a mouse.
Gamepad for moving, sprint button, and targeting
Mouse for looking and attack/block/change weapon/zoom, roll, crouch, jump* -need at least three side buttons on your mouse

I disagree that a gaming mouse is necessary for this game - any old mouse will do, just adjust the mouse sensitivity in game to your liking.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby Darth Crater » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 am

I use mouse and keyboard. The mouse is a Sidewinder, with 1000 dpi and 65 sensitivity ingame. Block is mapped to a side button of the mouse, and movement is via arrow keys instead of wasd (you don't need as many keys as a hero, so it's less cramped this way).

In general, the mouse is a much more precise tool for shooters than a gamepad. In hero assault the difference is less, but it's still nice to have the faster turning the mouse provides.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby Jedi Power » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:05 pm

I use a plain old mouse and keyboard. :wheelchair:
Jedi Power
Galactic Voyage
"You've taken your first step into a larger world"
http://galactic-voyage.com
Jedi Power
SWBF2 Admin

Origin ID: SWGO_Jedi_Power

Postby Corpse » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I USE A MOUSE WITH 100 SENSITIVITY SO I CAN SPIN AROUND LIKE A GOD DAMN BADASS.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
-Douglas Adams.
Corpse
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: rottencorpse94
Origin ID: Fupa_iAm

Postby KOko » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:36 pm

no u cant
Retired member of SWGO 2006~2011.
KOko
Community Member

Postby Flyswamper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:37 pm

I foolishly learned this game with a logitech controller. Worst mistake I made I think. Now.....considering that I played Hero Assault 90% of the time, it wasn't *THAT* big of a deal. But.... once I started playing other shooters on the PC (Battlefield 2, Bad Company 2, etc....) and was using a mouse with those, I quickly realized how much slower and less accurate it was to aim a gun at the enemy and introduce them to another respawn timer session.

If I had it all to do over again, I would absolutely/positively make sure I used the mouse for aiming and shooting. If you want to do what Matt-C is doing you can probably have the best of both worlds. Just don't use that controller for aiming/looking.

I heard somewhere that there was once a game where the game producers thought they would use cross-platform connectivity to let the console players (using controllers) play online against the PC players (who were using mouse/keyboard). I don't know if there is any truth to this story, but supposedly even mediocre PC players could lay waste to the highest ranked console players....all because they had the speed/precision advantage of a mouse as a pointing device (and possibly because of more key options on the keyboard). Story could be utter nonsense, but....it seems like the concept behind it is likely to be true.

Thing is, I play the game so rarely now that it just doesn't seem worth it for me to retrain my mind/hands to play the game with a mouse, so I continue to use the controller. But if I was going to play it regularly, I'd definitely make the switch to the mouse.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics stink!
Flyswamper
SWBF2 Admin

Postby haasd0gg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:39 am

keyboard/mouse>gamepad
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby (Rogue).ltc.dan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:59 am

i use mouse and keyboard its much less complicated for me and makes the game more fun (at least what i think) but dude i suggest you try mouse and keybaord its really fun instead of using controller :afro:
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/rogueltc/[/url]
(Rogue).ltc.dan
Community Member

Xfire: rogue2345
Steam ID: ltc.dan

Next

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II