can somebody help please .

Join our community

Re: can somebody help please .

Postby WGO-Jango » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:46 am

Matt I think this is another Advert bot. I thought we had a way to keep these bots from registering.
WGO-Jango

Postby haasd0gg » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:13 am

watchu talkin bout jango? :gary:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby [m'kay] » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:24 am

the post was deleted so now Jango looks like a silly billeh. :|
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby JROD » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:38 am

Matt, when you installed the thing I showed you, did you use 1,2,3,4, and 5 as the numbers? I know that I used 5,6,7,8, and 9 elsewhere and it seemed to outsmart the bots. If it just doesn't work, then I suggest recaptcha, just search it in the phpBB mod database. Hope I could help.
JROD
Community Member

Xfire: wgojrod

Postby Matt-Chicago » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:56 am

I'll have to take another look at it.
We were starting to get a half dozen bots a day and after installing the anti-bot registration mod (which asks if you're a spam bot and forces you to change the answer) it dropped to about one a week. I think it could be living breathing spammers doing it now, but I'm not sure.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby Flyswamper » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Matt,

The thing about a "standard MOD" to keep out spammers is that the spammers can add to their scripts how to get around the known/popular MODS. Admittedly I haven't bothered to look at the new registration process, so I really don't know what I'm talking about here (so what's new).

But..... one nice thing about the simple "what is 3+4?" question approach is that you can customize the question to whatever math question you want...and the spam-bots won't have any standard MOD-routine that they might have pre-programmed to get around. Maybe the MOD you installed has the same benefit/effect.... I dunno.... Just wanting to interject a thought here to *try* and be helpful a little (without over exerting myself too much by actually researching the stuff again...lol)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics stink!
Flyswamper
SWBF2 Admin

Postby JROD » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:29 pm

It wasn't a mod at all, it was just adding custom profile fields that were mandatory and would only take a certain answer. This would keep the spambots from registering. I showed Matt this tutorial: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/custom- ... mmer-tool/
Did you implement all three, or just the first one? Even if you only do the first two, it should still work better than it is at this point.
JROD
Community Member

Xfire: wgojrod

Return to Say Hello