Dedicated Servers

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Dedicated Servers

Postby (SWGO)=JAWS=Floob{havoc} » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:03 pm

Okay, I need a question answered.

Lately, more and more people have wanted to come to my server. However, I cannot keep it up all the time because of my frequent "events and activities." My question is: how much does it generally cost to run a dedicated server?

Thanks,

Floob
(SWGO)=JAWS=Floob{havoc}
Community Member

Re: Dedicated Servers

Postby WD-40 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:25 am

I'm estimating, but I believe we run the 3 main SWGO servers for around $90/month. I suppose a dedicated one runs maybe a third of that? We send in donations every month, but Matt pays the bills.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby SWINE FLU » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:22 am

http://www.artofwarcentral.com/

http://www.hypernia.com/

Those are the two main server providers for SWBF2. Have a look around at the prices and see what you can afford.

[09:24] -SR-Mandalore: we should just marry each other

X-Fire: swineflu13
Steam ID: iamswineflu
Origin ID: The_Spaniard

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." Thomas Wayne - Batman Series
SWINE FLU
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: swineflu13
Steam ID: iamswineflu

Postby Matt-Chicago » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Prices vary but it's about $1/slot. Hypernia is cheaper than AoWC.
Remember though we're talking per slot server not dedicated box.

Per slot servers are very easy to run because they use a gaming control panel. You don't need to know much to run it.

Getting your own dedicated box will cost $130/month at a minimum for a decent server. In that case you can run whatever kind of server you want but you have to know about opening ports on the firewall, how to modify command lines, etc. You can get the same gaming control panel (called TCAdmin) on a dedicated box, but it'll cost you an extra $15/month.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby (Rogue).ltc.dan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:38 pm

hmm to what you are saying matt i have decided to wait when go to my computer class in august to buy a server :-| eh. Matt how much did the website cost to buy a server for the website & when you got the forum how did you replace the phbb sign with swgo?
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/id/rogueltc/[/url]
(Rogue).ltc.dan
Community Member

Xfire: rogue2345
Steam ID: ltc.dan

Postby [m'kay] » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:36 pm

(Rogue).ltc.dan.(SWGO) wrote:hmm to what you are saying matt i have decided to wait when go to my computer class in august to buy a server :-| eh. Matt how much did the website cost to buy a server for the website & when you got the forum how did you replace the phbb sign with swgo?

You're not going to make your own community, kid. Seriously. I'm pretty sure that if God himself came down and tried to make a community for SWBFII, he probably wouldn't be able to get any players.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby Jdg50 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:57 pm

en you got the forum how did you replace the phbb sign with swgo?

With the forums admin panel.
O_o
Jdg50
Community Member

Xfire: Jdg50legomaster
Steam ID: Jdg50Legomaster

Postby Matt-Chicago » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:32 am

If you have the $ I can setup a server for you and teach you how to use it.

I already hosted several websites before creating this one, and since I have an unlimited plan all I had to do was buy the domain name.
Most web hosts will setup a forum like this for you and all you have to do is customize it. It's called phpBB3

If you rent server slots through a company like hypernia you get a free yourclan.hypernia.com web page/site.

Starting a community is a lot of work, and attracting members for a game this old will be difficult as Nargotah said.
My advice is to make sure you're willing to take the time to learn how to do all this stuff, and you have enough friends who would be willing to join you and help out.
Politeness is a discipline that compels respectful behavior. Morality is like a politeness of the soul, an etiquette of the inner life, a code of duties, a ceremonial of the essential.
Matt-Chicago
Dictator

Xfire: mattinchicago

Postby Jdg50 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:43 am

There are forum hosts that will give you a forum for free.
But if you want a domain name, you must pay for it.

Building a community takes work.
Building a successful community takes even more.
O_o
Jdg50
Community Member

Xfire: Jdg50legomaster
Steam ID: Jdg50Legomaster

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II