SWBFII slows down/ high cpu usage (AVG the problem!)

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: SWBFII slows down/ high cpu usage (AVG the problem!)

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:36 am

Draigun wrote:I can say that 75% of the people have an anti-virus when they don't even need it. If you are smart and know where you are and where to go in the Internet, there is no need for an anti-virus.

True i do say that people who just go online for their mails etc won't have much problems with viruses...
But i ain't worried about viruses, it's hackers/crackers/scriptkiddies that does it for me, especially when playing online game(generally games that AREN'T Dead)
A lot of hackers around gamming....

About an anti-virus just think, why would a company that PAYS $$$ to employees to make an anti-virus and daily update it, and then just giving it away for free?
I can assure you nothing is free, and AVG free version won't do what it's supposed to do, it's free...there is alwayes a catch.

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Yanoda » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:48 am

Never had the problems with AVG you mentioned. Though I have to say that I only used AVG for a month or two with not so satisfactory experiences.
I used Norton Antivirus/Internet Security for couple of years now and am satisfied with the service. I admit that I had some problems with it in the past but most of them were resolved over time. So I'd recommend Norton products as an alternative to AVG, sure you have to pay for it but I consider it a worthy investment.

Concerning Intel vs AMD...
Each CPU has their advantages and disadvantages.
AMD is the more budget oriented consumer with satisfactory performance.
Intel is more for the consumers that want the best but at a considerable higher price.

I had CPUs from both companies and each one was ok and did their job. Atm, I am running an AMD (AM3 Phenom II X3 720) system and am quite satisfied with it. Overclocked it easily (never needed it to over 3.4 Ghz so far) and I am able to unlock the 4th core without any stability or heat issues (albeit I am unable to see the CPU temps as a result when unlocking the core). Considering I got the CPU for $80, it's a steal. If I went Intel, I would have had to pay at least $200 for a comparable CPU. Which is about the same I paid for the AMD CPU, MB & RAM together and all components have been running without a problem for the past +2 years now. Performance of my system is running well, Battlefield 3 Beta has been running very smooth and never experienced issues in performance (apart from lag due to ping etc...). Also, the upgradability of AMD CPUs and MBs is a plus (AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2+ & AM3+ MBs), whereas you need a whole new system (CPU + MB) if you're going Intel.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby WD-40 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:25 pm

I guess the question I have, is WHY you even use anti virus WHILE gaming? You don't need to. So shut it off. Now a great antivirus that I've found which doesn't leach processor speed, has minimal interference with gaming, and is easy to uninstall when no longer needed, is Kazpersky. :punk:
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby toad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:29 pm

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:To add here, AMD can tell you how much they want, they say a processor will run at 2.55Ghz and it won't get to that, why?...... Blah blah blah blah blah, I bask in Toad's glory!!!

Yeah, um, that is a false statement. By your logic it would be impossible to overclock an AMD, which is wrong.... I would also point out that both AMD and Intel intentionally under-clock their CPUs. They do it for marketing and manufacture cost containment. Lastly I overclock just about all my personal CPUs, so a better analogy would be a 10Mb/s connection your force 10MB/s of data through.

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:The only other theory i can compare this with(wich is something that happens with me in real life)
I'm a shoe destroyer... I like to eat dirty shoes, so tasty, and the dirtier the better, quality matters!

Back in the day when AMD was starting out, yeah they had problems. So did Intel. Regardless, outside of overclocking, I can't remember the last time I swapped a processor because it was faulty. I have AMD PCs that have been in production for the past four years. They have the same problems Intel machines have. So the idea that AMD is an inferior product is utter rubbish. Just like some other cool frogs have mentioned there is a time to use AMD and a time to use Intel. It has nothing to do about quality and everything to do about cache.

Oh and AVG is the best, they keep my company gainfully employed removing the crap they miss and selling people a proper anti-virus to replace it with. :mrgreen:
|=======================================================|
toad
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:40 pm

toad wrote:Yeah, um, that is a false statement. By your logic it would be impossible to overclock an AMD, which is wrong.... I would also point out that both AMD and Intel intentionally under-clock their CPUs. They do it for marketing and manufacture cost containment. Lastly I overclock just about all my personal CPUs, so a better analogy would be a 10Mb/s connection your force 10MB/s of data through.

By my theory AMD's do not preform what they say they preform, ever had the message you quickly click away when you want to overclock that says "warning my cause an unstable sistem"? Also ever tought that if you need to overclock a component the lifetime will be reduced....
You know that forcing 10MB/s data to a cable that doesn't support 10MB/s isn't posible right? it's like trying to connect 8GB Ram to a XP 32-bit sistem...wich will automaticly only use 3GB of it, so even tough you have 8GB it won't be ussing it, the same with an internet company offering you a connection you will never get due to the cable not suporting a speed that is so high

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Yanoda » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:54 pm

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:ever had the message you quickly click away when you want to overclock that says "warning my cause an unstable sistem"? Also ever tought that if you need to overclock a component the lifetime will be reduced...

That goes for both AMD and Intel (or any PC component) where you overclock. Increasing the voltage on the CPU to improve its performance is the major reason that the CPU can overheat and become damaged.

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:Because "technicly" the processor runs at this speed but since the processor will run unstable at this speed, instead of stabalizing the processor they lower it's preformance altough they announce their processor speed the way it was meant to be.....wich obiosly it isn't, my general AMD cores alwayes run around 0.2Ghz less then their supposed to do, so your paying for something you aren't getting...

Do you have a source backing up your claim? I couldn't find anything online about this, would be nice if you could send a link.
The only thing related I could find was the Cool n' Quiet technology and that sometimes the CPU speed needs to be manually set in Bios (like RAM for example) to get the desired/stock speed.

Cheers

Yanoda
Yanoda
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: yanoda
Steam ID: Yanoda

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Yanoda wrote:That goes for both AMD and Intel (or any PC component) where you overclock. Increasing the voltage on the CPU to improve its performance is the major reason that the CPU can overheat and become damaged.

Of course that counts for both brands....but if you don't have a reason to overclock why would you?

Yanoda wrote:Do you have a source backing up your claim? I couldn't find anything online about this, would be nice if you could send a link.
The only thing related I could find was the Cool n' Quiet technology and that sometimes the CPU speed needs to be manually set in Bios (like RAM for example) to get the desired/stock speed.

Hmm i ussed to go to a certain component discussion forum but haven't been there in months so i'd have too look it up again.
But meh this happened with my Processors before and that's when i decided to go Intel...
Do remember that besides processors you also have to deal with AMD's chipset software...

@WD-40

I'm running a Norton internet security and while my PC is turned on, mozzila is open, my messenger LOTRO launcer and that crap my old quad-core runs at 5%...
Before Anti-viruses ussed to eat up all the ram and processing speed...nowadays it's much better.
And like i said before, i mainly have my anti-virus because i fear hackers in game-worlds like COD etc...
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Postby toad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:41 pm

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:Of course that counts for both brands....but if you don't have a reason to overclock why would you?

It kinda like asking why anyone would want to go faster than the posted speed limit... because I can :twisted:

Regardless in production environments I don't overclock because the risk is too great. At home I want to go vroom vroom. :wheelchair:

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:Hmm i ussed to go to a certain component discussion forum but haven't been there in months so i'd have too look it up again.
But meh this happened with my Processors before and that's when i decided to go Intel...
Do remember that besides processors you also have to deal with AMD's chipset software...

There was an issue of Windows not properly displaying the speed for none Intel chips . But they fixed that in Vista/Win 7. Also Intel has a chipset software you have to load as well. MS has gotten better at including it with the OS/Service Packs but it is still there.
toad
Community Member

Postby haasd0gg » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:15 am

I'm running android. No viruses here :ninja:
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby toad » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:49 pm

haasd0gg wrote:I'm running android. No viruses here :ninja:

It's just a matter of time... :ninja:
toad
Community Member

Previous

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II