Hi SWGO

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: Hi SWGO

Postby Nik » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:25 pm

So what specifically is allowed/acceptable here. Some seem to push the glitching limit but others like free ammo/health seem fine. I would just like to know what is fine or bad. Also, what is up with the double shot thing? This has happen to me before and I don't know why/what caused it.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."- Albert Einstein
Nik
Community Member

Xfire: 2badnik
Steam ID: Magnetar1

Postby Simply Scream » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:27 pm

SWGO never ceases to suprise me...
Simply Scream
Community Member

Postby Col. Hstar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:58 am

Simply Scream wrote:SWGO never ceases to suprise me...

suprise or surprise

Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby Niknod » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Talon Karrde wrote:Hi, under what name do you normally play as? Couldn't see your name in the video - Youtube conveniently likes to mangle the quality of recorded videos.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I play under Niknod or Oh It's Just Niknod or something similar.

I understand not all of these are set in stone, but I would still like to weigh in on them.

Talon Karrde wrote:Double shotting with Jet (or even triple shotting) - This one is questionable. However, Jet Trooper is hampered by their low ammo count, so it kinda balances them out. It's not as bad as DT's ability to basically one shot you with the DT glitch.

Well, in conjunction with swapping units, the low ammo count can quickly be overcome. Also, a jet can one shot you, as well as most units in the game. So I can't see why this wouldn't be allowed.

Talon Karrde wrote:Jump/rolling to lower DT cooldown - This one's up for debate, but it's more or less the equivalent of rolling with the grenade launcher to lower its fire speed too.

Jumping and rolling leave you stuck in a predictable pattern and it's really not that useful so imo I don't see the problem with this.

Talon Karrde wrote:Double/triple shock - This one is also being heavily debated, but is ultimately up to the big man himself (Matt-Chicago). Personally, I think it's overpowered and needs to be banned.

Playing on European servers it is considered a joke if a dark trooper can kill a wookie WITHOUT using this technique (for example, if they have the flag and therefore can't jet), yes it is powerful, but it makes up for the otherwise weak unit.

Talon Karrde wrote:Shocking teammates - If you're using them as a "chainpost" to prevent an enemy from killing your teammate, I imagine it's okay, but it's dependent on the situation. If you're going around shocking your teammates on purpose to hinder them or if you're too careless with your shocks, I imagine it would lead to being disciplined.

Ok, the intention was to physically stop my teammates from going anywhere as it would be possible standing still with 4 (maybe 3) darkies. Also, I'm guessing force pushing teammates off the edge is not allowed then?

Talon Karrde wrote:Sticky grenades - This one's 100% fine. This is actually pretty handy with Trooper in some levels as you pointed out.

I thought it would be, then again I thought most of these would be. A lot of these are easy enough to do by accident that I don't see how more people don't use them.

Talon Karrde wrote:Unit swapping to regen:
Ammo - I forgot about this one - not sure about this.
Swapping to engineer - Part of the game, this one I'm 100% sure is fine.
Full health with droideka - I thought this was a "feature" since I've seen it used since the beginning of time on servers that enforced rules. It IS kinda unfair to Republic though since they can't do the same, even though they can "kind of" do it with Clone Commander.

Seeing as it is entirely possible to do the droideka/commander one by mistake, I can't see how you could ban it/enforce it. Engineer one has to be more intentional but it's allowed so that's not a problem.

Talon Karrde wrote:Reload skipping - Yeah, that one I imagine is kinda abuseable if done in the right areas.

Although it may seem like a good way to hold a doorway, it's difficult to aim with and a lot of people probably won't even be able to switch/shoot too much faster than if they didn't use it. Another disadvantage is that you can only cover one direction and are standing still for the most part, making you extremely vulnerable.

Talon Karrde wrote:DT jumping to reach unreachable places with another class - I don't know about this one, but I imagine this shouldn't be allowed because the Rebs can't do it. Some of these places are near impossible to shoot at unless with a sniper.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the fact that just because one team can't do it, the other team shouldn't be allowed to. The game was designed to have different (special) classes on different teams and therefore there are bound to be things that one team can do that the other can't. Also, very few of these spots (I only showed a tiny amount of the hundreds of different places) can be reached exclusively with Empire, although they likely have the easiest time reaching them.

Talon Karrde wrote:Roof jumping/shortcuts - As long as you're not glitching into a wall to do them, I think they're fine (Utapau has a few as you know).

Phew, glad this is allowed, I do it all the time.

Personally, the only things I would forbid, would be: Glitching/shooting into/through walls and speed dets. As for everything else, player knowledge of the game + ability to execute the knowledge efficiently shouldn't be punished. I hope you can understand the points I am trying to make.

Col. Homestar wrote:Stuff

Are all your 750+ posts so pernickety and irrelephant to the topic?

Hope you are all having a nice day and sorry this post is so long, it's just the way it worked out.
Niknod
Niknod
Community Member

Postby Doves » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey niknod, finally a video with over 10 views!!!! Nice job!!
In all seriousness, niknod is the coolest cat in England.
Doves
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: whendovescry
Steam ID: circles308

Postby Col. Hstar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Niknod wrote:

Yup

irrelephant or irrelevant

BTW that was meant as a joke for the other guy whom I quoted. It wasn't something you needed to take personal. I'm not hijacking your thread....yet :whistling:
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby Niknod » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:35 pm

Col. Homestar wrote:
Niknod wrote:

Yup

irrelephant or irrelevant

Since I know you like pictures:

So yeah, irrelephant.
Niknod
Community Member

Postby Col. Hstar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Niknod wrote:Since I know you like pictures:
So yeah, irrelephant.

Yeah I like that one but I would have used this one

And yes since I didn't say it before...
Welcome to SWGO :th_a017:
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby Talon Karrde » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Niknod wrote:Well, in conjunction with swapping units, the low ammo count can quickly be overcome. Also, a jet can one shot you, as well as most units in the game. So I can't see why this wouldn't be allowed.

Jets can one shot most units, but not all units, and if they have damage redux, even a direct shot in the face from a Jet won't kill the heavier units.

Jumping and rolling leave you stuck in a predictable pattern and it's really not that useful so imo I don't see the problem with this.

That's what I meant. Jumping/rolling actually makes you vulnerable to attacks.

Playing on European servers it is considered a joke if a dark trooper can kill a wookie WITHOUT using this technique (for example, if they have the flag and therefore can't jet), yes it is powerful, but it makes up for the otherwise weak unit.

We had a long debate about this (the thread got locked). "Because other servers do it" isn't a valid reason for certain abuseable gameplay elements. I know you feel differently about the issue, but trust me, we're still trying to figure this thing out. It's allowed on our servers at the moment, but don't be upset if its use is removed.

Ok, the intention was to physically stop my teammates from going anywhere as it would be possible standing still with 4 (maybe 3) darkies. Also, I'm guessing force pushing teammates off the edge is not allowed then?

Again, it mostly depends. Intentionally pushing teammates off/shocking them to harass them is grounds for discipline. Accidental shocks are okay, but if you "accidentally" shock your teammates one too many times you will get disciplined for it. End of map shocks (after all the CPs are capped, etc) are okay - end of map pushes I don't know. If you don't know the guy you're pushing off the edge at the end of the map, I'd say be careful.

I thought it would be, then again I thought most of these would be. A lot of these are easy enough to do by accident that I don't see how more people don't use them.

Again, it's one thing to do these things by accident, but you're a knowledgeable player and we still have a sizeable population of "pro" players that know how to do these things on PURPOSE - if we make any rules regarding them it's more to stop them.

Seeing as it is entirely possible to do the droideka/commander one by mistake, I can't see how you could ban it/enforce it. Engineer one has to be more intentional but it's allowed so that's not a problem.

Refer to my previous statement. However, I don't think we have any rules against using clone commander/droideka to regen ammo.

Although it may seem like a good way to hold a doorway, it's difficult to aim with and a lot of people probably won't even be able to switch/shoot too much faster than if they didn't use it. Another disadvantage is that you can only cover one direction and are standing still for the most part, making you extremely vulnerable.

I agree, but it's also pretty silly. Also, this thing CAN be macro'd if someone really wants to be a douche about it. But I don't think we have any rules against it at the moment.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with the fact that just because one team can't do it, the other team shouldn't be allowed to. The game was designed to have different (special) classes on different teams and therefore there are bound to be things that one team can do that the other can't. Also, very few of these spots (I only showed a tiny amount of the hundreds of different places) can be reached exclusively with Empire, although they likely have the easiest time reaching them.

Yes, with Rebs you can use their tank to get to some of these places, but I still stand by my statement. SWGO's not a competitive "play to win" server, we're trying to make the game more fair for all players. I know a lot of old players and those who come from competitive clans have a "play it and deal with it" attitude, but our servers are not meant to be run like a clan server - it's a community server.

Phew, glad this is allowed, I do it all the time.

It sucks for Heavy unit users though - a lot of these jumps can't be made with Clone Commander, Heavy Trooper, etc.

Personally, the only things I would forbid, would be: Glitching/shooting into/through walls and speed dets. As for everything else, player knowledge of the game + ability to execute the knowledge efficiently shouldn't be punished. I hope you can understand the points I am trying to make.

Again, it's less about being able to execute and more about whether or not it'd be a good idea to have them. We take these on a case by case basis and don't have a "one size fits all" policy for them. Again, the big man in charge has the final say on these things and I'm simply expressing my opinion, so please don't take what I say as the final word. :)

Thanks for playing on our servers!
"Bigotry wrapped in prayer is still bigotry."
Talon Karrde
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: lolnewb
Steam ID: Keirnoth

Previous

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II