Clarifying questions and some suggestions

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Clarifying questions and some suggestions

Postby {JOG}Black » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:50 am

Several questions.

What exact words are banned? Gay seems like an everyday non-offensive word to me. If you think otherwise, please let me know.

Is tapping block to turn while on a ramp legal? This is the same move you'd use to slow run, but alas you never actually slow run.

Is juking legal? If so, why? It accomplishes the same thing as slow run/inf run (besides blocking choke).

Now, several suggestions.

I have NEVER seen ANYONE in your server who doesn't absolutely HATE double/triple pulling. It's such a ridiculously cheap move, if you think about it. The solution? Allow single pulling. Single pulling makes pull equal to choke and push, just like it should be. Disallow all other forms of pulling.

Allow a bit of cussing? Why do you all hate on those who slip a bit of tongue now and then? I've never seen a mature community without some saltiness.
{JOG}Black
Community Member

Re: Clarifying questions and some suggestions

Postby Darth Crater » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:06 am

In case you hadn't noticed, "gay" is a term for homosexuals. The fact that so many people use it in a casual derogatory manner is sickening.

We don't normally get players doing either of those moves. If I'm right about what you mean by "juking" (holding left/right while sprinting), it's legal, but might get mistaken for slow run. The thing with ramps should be OK.

We're not going to take advice on how to run servers from someone who isn't sapient enough to control what he types on them.
Darth Crater
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: darthcrater1016

Postby Tiburana203 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:09 am

What exact words are banned? Gay seems like an everyday non-offensive word to me. If you think otherwise, please let me know.

walk up to some scary looking individual and call him gay. i guarantee hell find it offensive. even using it with a different context/implied meaning could offend some people.

Is tapping block to turn while on a ramp legal? This is the same move you'd use to slow run, but alas you never actually slow run.

im pretty sure anything that exploits any aspect of the slow run glitch is not allowed

Allow a bit of cussing? Why do you all hate on those who slip a bit of tongue now and then? I've never seen a mature community without some saltiness.

resisting the urge to type out cuss words on a chat bar is not very hard. my fingers have never rebelled and typed out something offensive without my consent. there's really no such thing as "slipping".
and don't call me Shirley
Tiburana203
Community Member

Xfire: tiburana203

Postby Col. Hstar » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:53 am

{JOG}Black wrote:Now, several suggestions.

Oh I'm on the edge of my seat.....
{JOG}Black wrote:Allow a bit of cussing? Why do you all hate on those who slip a bit of tongue now and then? I've never seen a mature community without some saltiness.

Then go to one of those communities. That was easy, if you can't show a little self control which is what mature people do, then leave the servers and go to one of your more salty ones. Have fun
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby Eyes Only » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 am

{JOG}Black wrote:Several questions.

Is juking legal? If so, why? It accomplishes the same thing as slow run/inf run (besides blocking choke).

I have NEVER seen ANYONE in your server who doesn't absolutely HATE double/triple pulling. It's such a ridiculously cheap move, if you think about it. The solution? Allow single pulling. Single pulling makes pull equal to choke and push, just like it should be. Disallow all other forms of pulling.

Please leave your PS2 mindset with your PS2. This is PC. People are more mature here (well, most people compared to ps2). You need to be more careful as to what you post on the SWGO forums; the way you worded your suggestions seems more offensive than I think it was meant to be. The fact that you think using the term "gay" to belittle something is acceptable, and an everyday event means (at least to me) that you need to change the way you think about the world. SWGO is indeed extremely strict with its language filters, and I understand that transitioning to a new system is difficult. Ask yourself however, is foul language absolutely required? Stop using it altogether, and you will find it much easier to not trigger the banned word list from habit.

What you are talking about is legal last I checked. Using block for navigation, etc. is allowed. The only time its not allowed is when you use it to avoid choke.

As for juking, when will you newbies stop making up silly words for pointless things? :-|

Col. Homestar wrote:
{JOG}Black wrote:Now, several suggestions.

Oh I'm on the edge of my seat.....
{JOG}Black wrote:Allow a bit of cussing? Why do you all hate on those who slip a bit of tongue now and then? I've never seen a mature community without some saltiness.

Then go to one of those communities. That was easy, if you can't show a little self control which is what mature people do, then leave the servers and go to one of your more salty ones. Have fun

Homestar, we are operating on borrowed time. Please take that bad attitude elsewhere. You need to understand that JOG isn't from around here and is having extreme difficulty adapting to the new system, they need time to adjust.
Eyes Only
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: masterqueue
Steam ID: feintmass

Postby kjeopardy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Darth Crater wrote:In case you hadn't noticed, "gay" is a term for homosexuals. The fact that so many people use it in a casual derogatory manner is sickening.

We don't normally get players doing either of those moves. If I'm right about what you mean by "juking" (holding left/right while sprinting), it's legal, but might get mistaken for slow run. The thing with ramps should be OK.

We're not going to take advice on how to run servers from someone who isn't sapient enough to control what he types on them.

I think "sickening" is a bit strong :whistling: ---when most people use it, they aren't intending for it to refer to gay people.
"Mathematics is the queen of sciences and number theory is the queen of mathematics. She often condescends to render service to astronomy and other natural sciences, but in all relations she is entitled to the first rank."~Karl Friedrich Gauss
kjeopardy
Community Member

Xfire: kjeopardy

Postby {JOG}Black » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Hey,

I wasn't meaning to be offensive in any way. The topic name implies exactly what I was trying to do. Guess you guys don't like gay, I will respect that.

Juking isn't moving left to right? It's that Luke move where you sprint and tap R1 (err the swing button). It infinitely allows you to run because it regenerates.

Why exactly is slow run banned? Is it because you can avoid choke with it or you guys don't like its regeneration or what? If it's the regeneration, juking accomplishes the same thing -_-. Also, sprinting allows you to evade choke. You can sprint out of reach and then turn, accomplished the same thing. I just sprint behind someone and then push. With slow run I'd maybe save a bit of energy, but unless someone is inf choke following me I can save energy with a juke.

Also, is choking, switching, and then quickly killing someone allowed? I know just inf choking someone down isn't allowed, but I've seen your admins use this. Also, is choke, switch, saber throw, choke, drop so the saber hits allowed? I've seen several admins use this. Just want to know precisely what you call inf choke.

Just don't understand why some of these rules are in place.

Uber-defensive people : perhaps you could just think a little about my suggestions? They're merrily suggestions. No need to get all up in arms. Just please think about them. Honestly, disallowing slow run and allowing quad pulling seems sort of arbitrary and silly. Again, though, these are just friendly suggestions coming from one of your active players.
{JOG}Black
Community Member

Postby Hobo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:26 pm

{JOG}Black wrote:Hey,

I wasn't meaning to be offensive in any way. The topic name implies exactly what I was trying to do. Guess you guys don't like gay, I will respect that.

Juking isn't moving left to right? It's that Luke move where you sprint and tap R1 (err the swing button). It infinitely allows you to run because it regenerates.

Why exactly is slow run banned? Is it because you can avoid choke with it or you guys don't like its regeneration or what? If it's the regeneration, juking accomplishes the same thing -_-. Also, sprinting allows you to evade choke. You can sprint out of reach and then turn, accomplished the same thing. I just sprint behind someone and then push. With slow run I'd maybe save a bit of energy, but unless someone is inf choke following me I can save energy with a juke.

Also, is choking, switching, and then quickly killing someone allowed? I know just inf choking someone down isn't allowed, but I've seen your admins use this. Also, is choke, switch, saber throw, choke, drop so the saber hits allowed? I've seen several admins use this. Just want to know precisely what you call inf choke.

Uber-defensive people : perhaps you could just think a little about my suggestions? They're merrily suggestions. No need to get all up in arms. Just please think about them. Honestly, disallowing slow run and allowing quad pulling seems sort of arbitrary and silly. Again, though, these are just friendly suggestions coming from one of your active players.

Ive yet to here any problems from "juking" since almost no one uses it. With slow run, it is technically an exploit, so it isnt allowed. I dont think the rules are based on "efficient killing", they're based on what was "intendeded" from the game.

Choke+switch+throw is allowed. Choke becomes inf only when you're trying to regenerate stamina.

And for cursing, I think the main reason why language is filtered is due to the fact that they're little kids that play this game too, and they shouldn't be exposed to that.
Hobo
Community Member

Steam ID: a_hobo_

Postby (SWGO)SirPepsi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:47 pm

{JOG}Black wrote:Several questions.

Absolutely not. Whether or not you see it as offensive does not matter, the term "gay" refers to "homosexuals" and when you use the word "gay" to describe something you perceive as "stupid" or "cheap," you equate homosexuals with stupidity. Discrimination is in under no circumstances tolerated.
The admins will have to chime in on this, but I don't see a problem (I actually would like to legalise slow run altogether, but alas, that will never happen.
It's legal (or at least not illegalised) because you don't see it too often. If it becomes a problem, I'm sure the admins will update the rules.

How would you propose we enforce this?
Again, absolutely not. This game is not an outlet for you (or anyone) to relieve themselves of their stress by cursing up a server. I can understand your suggestion, but again, is it that hard to control yourself?

Suggestions are always a good way to move a community or idea forward, and I will address the following (my responses in blue text.)
Love and Pepsi are the two most important things in life.

(SWGO)SirPepsi
Community Member

Xfire: sirpepsi

Postby Bailey » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:13 pm

{JOG}Black wrote:Hey,

The word gay in itself is not bad, its the context you use it in. Insulting somebody by calling them gay adds an extremely negative connotation to the word, thus making it very offensive. Also here's a good rule of thumb: ALL INFINITIES ARE BANNED. Anything that could be considered an infinity, or allows you to infinitely regenerate is banned.
Bailey
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: Bailey1020

Next

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II