Rules regarding other languages

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: Rules regarding other languages

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Tiburana203 wrote:
3.14pi wrote: Not a problem lol, just curious if you really are planning to speak in another language...

well actually, his question makes a lot of sense. based on a conversation i had with him on JBA one night, Otto is Venezuelan, and speaks fluent Spanish. This, in turn, sparked a Spanish-Fest over the chat bar. Turns out half the players that night were Hispanic. Viva los Españoles! :th_a017:

lol exactly that's my point. I noticed many people get annoyed because some of us like to speak in spanish (or portuguese). Yesterday night Jake (from Spain I believe) wanted to speak spanish and I said I could. Later some people like Paxutl starting complaining about it. Later Pootus warned me and Jake. Jake continued speaking spanish (no swearing or spamming) but he got banned. I asked why Pootus warned me and he said players are not allowed to engage in "idle chat" not related to the game. Honestly, I think that was just nonesense and that the real reason was to boot us for speaking our language (in my opinion). I bet Pootus doesn't even know what we were talking about and it certainly was not a personal or private conversation as he accused us of doing... it was just chat. Everyone engages in idle chat in JBA in english... I don't understand what went wrong. But I am glad it is clear that it is not against the rules to speak in other languages.

I am just annoyed at how ignorant people like Colon Cancer just started making fun of us and saying stereotypical comments like "frijoles" "i'm mexican" "come mierda" (which means, eat sh## in spanish) and my impression is that no one did anything about it. Instead, pootus just banned us (jake and me) for what I think is an unclear reason, even if it was only for 10 minutes. I sent him a private message but he does not respond :roll: . Just to illustrate... it's like if some ignorant hispanic said something negative about americans or europeans. Wouldn't you feel insulted by it? That is what colon cancer did to us. I have seen lots of derogatory comments about latinos last week when all of us (large group) started chatting in spanish/portuguese. We were simply asking questions like "where are you from" and stuff like that.

I just want people to know they have to accept other cultures. If you don't want to see us speaking in French, German, Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese or whatever... just accept there are people who are not american. As long as those people are chatting in a casual and respectful way, I don't see what is the problem. As you can see, just like tiburana said, all of us hispanics were having lots of fun the other day because we were able to joke around and play at the same time, just as it is supposed to be. This is a fun and welcome community and I still believe that but we need to let people know that other languages and cultures are ok.

My objective in life is to be a very decent and well informed person, respectful of others and other cultures. Diversity is one of the best things of humanity... a real treasure for us all.
Last edited by CommanderOtto on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Col. Hstar » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:37 pm

I think the reason they were getting frustrated might have been because you were carrying on a conversation filling up the chat line and not playing :whistling:
I get bugged with people when all they do is chat (english or anything else) about politics or their latest exploits in COD while their teammates are trying to get a DANG CP!!! :1402: :lol:

That's what the forums are for people, talkin time is for after we've crushed the rebellion :innocent:
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Col. Homestar wrote:I think the reason they were getting frustrated might have been because you were carrying on a conversation filling up the chat line and not playing :whistling:
I get bugged with people when all they do is chat (english or anything else) about politics or their latest exploits in COD while their teammates are trying to get a DANG CP!!! :1402: :lol:

That's what the forums are for people, talkin time is for after we've crushed the rebellion :innocent:

well you are right if we consider the group's conversation last week but yesterday I must have done like 6 lines at most... and all separated but big intervals of time (3 of those lines asking pootus why of the warning). It's not like we were spamming or anything like that. Basically jake asked if someone knew spanish. I responded and said I did but I can't even call it a conversation because I was not able to say anything significant to him really. :geek:

and it is also important to note... not all hispanics are the same. Just because I speak spanish does not mean I am a "mexican" like some people think. There is such diversity within hispanics, it would take me an encyclopedia to put it into words. The spanish speaking culture is very beautiful and it is a shame that some people don't like it. I say this so to remind people how colon cancer's comment was derogative and ignorant...

As I said before:
Diversity is one of the best things of humanity... a real treasure for us all.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Bailey » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:33 pm

CommanderOtto wrote:
Tiburana203 wrote:
3.14pi wrote: Not a problem lol, just curious if you really are planning to speak in another language...

well actually, his question makes a lot of sense. based on a conversation i had with him on JBA one night, Otto is Venezuelan, and speaks fluent Spanish. This, in turn, sparked a Spanish-Fest over the chat bar. Turns out half the players that night were Hispanic. Viva los Españoles! :th_a017:

lol exactly that's my point. I noticed many people get annoyed because some of us like to speak in spanish (or portuguese). Yesterday night Jake (from Spain I believe) wanted to speak spanish and I said I could. Later some people like Paxutl starting complaining about it. Later Pootus warned me and Jake. Jake continued speaking spanish (no swearing or spamming) but he got banned. I asked why Pootus warned me and he said players are not allowed to engage in "idle chat" not related to the game. Honestly, I think that was just nonesense and that the real reason was to boot us for speaking our language (in my opinion). I bet Pootus doesn't even know what we were talking about and it certainly was not a personal or private conversation as he accused us of doing... it was just chat. Everyone engages in idle chat in JBA in english... I don't understand what went wrong. But I am glad it is clear that it is not against the rules to speak in other languages.

I am just annoyed at how ignorant people like Colon Cancer just started making fun of us and saying stereotypical comments like "frijoles" "i'm mexican" "come mierda" (which means, eat sh## in spanish) and my impression is that no one did anything about it. Instead, pootus just banned us (jake and me) for what I think is an unclear reason, even if it was only for 10 minutes. I sent him a private message but he does not respond :roll: . Just to illustrate... it's like if some ignorant hispanic said something negative about americans or europeans. Wouldn't you feel insulted by it? That is what colon cancer did to us. I have seen lots of derogatory comments about latinos last week when all of us (large group) started chatting in spanish/portuguese. We were simply asking questions like "where are you from" and stuff like that.

I just want people to know they have to accept other cultures. If you don't want to see us speaking in French, German, Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese or whatever... just accept there are people who are not american. As long as those people are chatting in a casual and respectful way, I don't see what is the problem. As you can see, just like tiburana said, all of us hispanics were having lots of fun the other day because we were able to joke around and play at the same time, just as it is supposed to be. This is a fun and welcome community and I still believe that but we need to let people know that other languages and cultures are ok.

My objective in life is to be a very decent and well informed person, respectful of others and other cultures. Diversity is one of the best things of humanity... a real treasure for us all.

Otto if you ever are feeling discriminated against please feel free to pm or xfire (bailey1020) me and I will make sure it stops right away. I will not put up with any sort of racism or discrimination.
Bailey
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: Bailey1020

Postby CommanderOtto » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Bailey wrote:Otto if you ever are feeling discriminated against please feel free to pm or xfire (bailey1020) me and I will make sure it stops right away. I will not put up with any sort of racism or discrimination

thanks baily, I really appreciate it! :th_a017:
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Pootus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 pm

AGAIN..............................

Its not the spanish...you are not paying attention to the dialog.
It was for continuing to chat on and on when everyone was told to ease up on the chat.
If you want to go to a chat room and speak spanish, french, pig latin...have at it.

If you are going to chat after I ask you ease up.....you will get banned.
It was only for 10 minutes.

That being said......lets have less yacking and more playing please.

Is this clear enough?
Pootie Tang will draw you a picture of how he gonna kick your ass, then mail it to you ten days in advance. The picture gets there right? You're goin', "What the hell is this?" and then Pootie Tang knocks on your door, Promptly kicks your ass and you still won't know what happened to you!
Pootus
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Col. Hstar » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Pootus wrote:lets have less yacking and more playing

+1
Lets have that be on the list of messages scrolled automatically during the game :appl:
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby haasd0gg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Xfire for yacking
haasd0gg
Overlord

Xfire: haasd0gg

Postby Brazosgrad » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:56 pm

I was there and saw the chat. Even without the Spanish/Portuguese/etc there was a lot of useless chat spam. Bottom line? When the admin says stop the chat spam, you stop. Period.
Brazosgrad incognito
Brazosgrad
SWBF2 Admin

Postby CommanderOtto » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:48 am

sorry if I took long to respond. I had to drive to Chicago (from Indianapolis) to settle some passport issues at the Venezuelan consulate. You know, I swear I saw matt near the Sears*cough cough* Willis Tower. :lol:

But you know, if someone would approve my request to join the xfire group so I can chat with you guys there... that would "ease up" the jba chat box right? :whistling:

I am talkative by nature, in real life. If I can't chat "too much" in jba because it causes distraction, then help me help you by letting me chat in xfire like haas suggested.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II