Auto-Admin Phrase Suggestion For HA

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Auto-Admin Phrase Suggestion For HA

Postby Hobo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:44 pm

So whenever I'm playing on HA, there's always a chance that a spawn bug will occur. And since there's not always an admin online, whenever a spawn bug happens, the server usually gets deserted. As some of you may know, to clear a spawn bug, all players on the team with the spawn bug must go to the character selection screen to clear it. And since I feel like I'm always the one to speak of it whenever I'm online, do you guys think we can add that line of advice to the auto-admin? I feel like it'll help educate everyone to prevent the server from emptying.
Hobo
Community Member

Steam ID: a_hobo_

Re: Auto-Admin Phrase Suggestion For HA

Postby CommanderOtto » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:49 pm

best suggestion i've heard this week... still, that is no guarantee people will follow the instructions and most likely the server will get empty anyway.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Duel of Fates » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:05 pm

It wouldn't do any good. It would be like herding a bunch of cats. Even if all the players understood the concept. There will always be at least one douche that won't follow directions.
Duel of Fates
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: virago777

Postby MATTHEW'S_DAD » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:08 pm

What would happen if the left over team started tking each other? Wouldn't that end the round once they hit 200 causing the other team to win?

Although, unless you have loads of kills to spare, I guess auto admin would kick you....never mind.
When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. - Ben Franklin
MATTHEW'S_DAD
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: matthewsdad

Postby Col. Hstar » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 pm

Would modding the server to eliminate spawn time and thus stop the glitch from occurring help? I'm not even sure if this can be done so I'm just throwing it out as a suggestion. It is frustrating when a glitch comes and there's no way to end the match without it devolving into a FFA war.
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby Hobo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:54 pm

Duel of Fates wrote:It wouldn't do any good. It would be like herding a bunch of cats. Even if all the players understood the concept. There will always be at least one douche that won't follow directions.

Yea, usually there's someone that tries to screw with people, but not always.. What I think would happen is that other players would spam the directions in the chat until everyone catches on. And even if sometimes people don't follow the instructions, there would probably be a percent decrease of the server being empty, because other players who are somewhat sensible will occasionally speak up.
Hobo
Community Member

Steam ID: a_hobo_

Postby CommanderOtto » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:35 am

Col. Homestar wrote:Would modding the server to eliminate spawn time and thus stop the glitch from occurring help? I'm not even sure if this can be done so I'm just throwing it out as a suggestion. It is frustrating when a glitch comes and there's no way to end the match without it devolving into a FFA war.

sounds good. anyone know if this is possible?
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Draigun » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:37 am

Col. Homestar wrote:Would modding the server to eliminate spawn time and thus stop the glitch from occurring help? I'm not even sure if this can be done so I'm just throwing it out as a suggestion. It is frustrating when a glitch comes and there's no way to end the match without it devolving into a FFA war.

This can be done, however it's unclear if it will actually cure the spawn bug. As for the character selection fix that you described, this has not been tested thoroughly enough, and has not been verified to be a valid fix.

In regards to the auto-admin phrase suggestion, I think this is a good idea in retrospect to how spawn bugs are now handled. For one, it will help to educate people and thus have the single idea floating around (hopefully at least). Another good reason to add it in would be for the original intent: to have the people do said action to stop the spawn bug (however this method has not been verified to be a working solution). There are no ridiculous negative effects to this, but rather grey line annoyances. For example, like Duel had mentioned, there will likely be some idiot trying to disobey everyone and likely will do anything to further make the game less enjoyable for everyone else. However, this does not always happen, and if luck is in the server, the idiot will simply kick himself out.

However, when looking at the positive effects this suggestion may create, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to put it in effect. Why? Because for one, at least no one has to say much about how to possibly stop the bug. Two: it will help to form a more defined group of (perhaps many?) individuals that are educated of the possible valid solution (which is the character screen selection fix). With these two positive effects in mind, the game should move in a more forward direction.

If I may also add, this will help admins job to be less strenuous as there is a possible fix in the admin auto announcement. In addition, we are trying to prolong the life of this game; wouldn't you do what you can to further support the game?

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Draigun on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Postby Eyes Only » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:47 am

A Hobo wrote:As some of you may know, to clear a spawn bug, all players on the team with the spawn bug must go to the character selection screen to clear it.

There is no data to support this as a valid solution. We don't even know what a spawn bug is, let alone how to stop it effectively. We know it has a significantly higher probability of happening with bots turned on, and that it can stay or fix itself at random. What we know as the spawn bug seems to be almost always triggered by an admin, or autoadmin kicking someone. This fix is just a myth, just like saying glitching causes a spawn bug or lag or [insert negative result here].

It honestly would be simpler to write something that monitors player count, and if too many players leave (like 6 or 7) have it automatically reset the map or something.

MATTHEW'S_DAD wrote:What would happen if the left over team started tking each other? Wouldn't that end the round once they hit 200 causing the other team to win?

Although, unless you have loads of kills to spare, I guess auto admin would kick you....never mind.

Assault mode uses a score system to declare victory or defeat. Team kills dont count positive points to the total score, so the count would never increase. You are thinking of reinforcements, and in assault the reinforcement (ticket) count is in the millions iirc.
Eyes Only
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: masterqueue
Steam ID: feintmass

Postby Draigun » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:01 am

Eyes Only wrote:It honestly would be simpler to write something that monitors player count, and if too many players leave (like 6 or 7) have it automatically reset the map or something.

This is a good idea. Maybe even create an entirely new "anti-spawn bug" system that will automatically reset the map if it detects the spawn bug.
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Next

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II