Gamespot: Why SWBF3 failed

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: Gamespot: Why SWBF3 failed

Postby CommanderOtto » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:46 pm

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:Well the whole "over the shoulder" view never worked, it's something why as example in skyrim, most played in first person view, unless modded.

Anyhow's i just can't understand this, SWBFIII has a tag on it saying "BIG $$$ can be earned by this due to having a high fan basis" yet it's not being made.
We'll just wait and see if disney ever considers it.

MT

actually something is being done about it. Just recently some news leaked regarding the production of a new star wars game called Star Wars First Assault. Even the cover that leaked has an image of stormtroopers in Naboo.

Anyway, I just learned with this article it isn't entirely Lucasart's fault... they paid Free Radical in advance to get the game going but FreeRadical just stole the money and used it in another game.
CommanderOtto
SWBF2 Admin

Postby Col. Hstar » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 am

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:We'll just wait and see if disney ever considers it.

Mickey Mouse with a rocket launcher. :lol:
Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby WD-40 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 am

You know...This Thread answered what I suspected...a Ponzi scheme. That is believable. Just like some businesses that have been doomed to fail by rolling the dice on previously failing ventures, asking for more $$..like Solandra. If all this is true, then I admire Pandora for being up front on their limitations. But 'my' question is, why didn't LucasArts just stay with Pandora? They've proven worthy of creating a game that has immense staying power. For the money LucasArts pissed away on Free Radical, they would have been better off paying Pandora more $$$ for an easier and more reliable transition to SWBF3. It seems a no-brainer. Personally, I would have focused it mainly on the 'Clone Wars' cartoon series battles.
WD-40
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: faststart0777

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 am

WD-40 wrote:You know...This Thread answered what I suspected...a Ponzi scheme. That is believable. Just like some businesses that have been doomed to fail by rolling the dice on previously failing ventures, asking for more $$..like Solandra. If all this is true, then I admire Pandora for being up front on their limitations. But 'my' question is, why didn't LucasArts just stay with Pandora? They've proven worthy of creating a game that has immense staying power. For the money LucasArts pissed away on Free Radical, they would have been better off paying Pandora more $$$ for an easier and more reliable transition to SWBF3. It seems a no-brainer. Personally, I would have focused it mainly on the 'Clone Wars' cartoon series battles.

IF by "pandora" you mean "pandemic" creators of SWBFI and SWBFII then:
If you didn't notice both SWBFI and SWBFII was full of bugs glitches and the AI was terrible.
The first game had this, and so did the second, pandemic couldn't resolve this, and they prooved they couldn't when they released that Lord of the rings: the conquest game.
Basically it's SWBF with less content and LOTR skin, same bugs and issues.

Keep in mind, Pandemic went bankrupt so.....
What i notice in the SWBF games is that the games aren't well made, but we love them, not because they are very good, but because we love the game.
You can't deny that SWBFII has an excessive amount of glitches and exploits, bots are malfuncioning and HA has an extremely unbalanced team.
Sure with polish they could have made it work, but they didn't in SWBFI, they didn't in SWBFII and they didn't in "the conquest"

I'm not blaiming lucasarts per say for it failing, i do have a grudge in them not trying again with a REAL company.
There are many high quality companies that could develop the game....anyhow

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby [m'kay] » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:29 am

Battlefront II shipped with a devtest version of blocking. After patches, it still wasn't fixed. Pandemic was not a good company, and they didn't make a good game. Give up on SWBF3, it's not going to be made. This is boring.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:33 am

Col. Homestar wrote:
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:We'll just wait and see if disney ever considers it.

Mickey Mouse with a rocket launcher. :lol:

I'd be scared if goofy got a rocket launcer....or a tank :eek:

MT
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Col. Hstar » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:46 am

Disney is already on it

Col. Hstar
Community Member

Postby THEWULFMAN » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:47 am

Oh no it's still Lucasarts' fault at the source. They forced Pandemic to make SWBF2 with almost no time between releases, they weren't given time to address all the problems. SWBF2 was released 13 months after SWBF1. This was LA setting the release dates, not Pandemic.

I'm no fan of Free Radical either, but LA has been disappointing for a long time. They're both to blame for SWBF3 failing.

As for Lord of the Rings: Conquest being terrible and Pandemic going bankrupt, I blame EA for both(since shoving sticks up EA's ass is always fun). I do this because EA has a longass history of screwing up other developers. Which is why my company Frayed Wires Studios will refuse to be bought out, were it to become successful (there's about a 5-10% chance of that).

[m'kay] wrote:Battlefront II shipped with a devtest version of blocking. After patches, it still wasn't fixed.

I'm sorry, what? I don't understand.

[m'kay] wrote:Pandemic was not a good company, and they didn't make a good game.

I don't agree. I don't think it's a great game, no, but I think it's a good game. One I've been enjoying for 4 years. I also disagree about Pandemic being bad.b

[m'kay] wrote:Give up on SWBF3, it's not going to be made.

Can't argue with that.

[m'kay] wrote:This is boring.

Can't say you're wrong there, mainly just tired of all this.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

Postby [m'kay] » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:18 pm

THEWULFMAN wrote:
[m'kay] wrote:Battlefront II shipped with a devtest version of blocking. After patches, it still wasn't fixed.

Centerblock is only in the game because they had to come up with some rudimentary version for testing purposes. They figured Hero Assault was going to be a gimmick mode, so never fixed it because [m'kay] it.
[m'kay]
MVP

Postby THEWULFMAN » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 pm

[m'kay] wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:

Centerblock is only in the game because they had to come up with some rudimentary version for testing purposes. They figured Hero Assault was going to be a gimmick mode, so never fixed it because [m'kay] it.

Where did you hear this? Still doesn't make a ton of sense. It's probably because I haven't slept in 22 hours and I'm tired as [m'kay] and can't type without making a dozen spelling errors.

The lightsabers have what is called a .COMBO file associated with it, detailing exactly how the melee works out. Block can be set up in a lot of different ways. It's done with a 360 degree field of view. So a value of -90 90 would give you a 180 degree arc in front of you when blocking, and anything hitting you in those 180 degrees is blocked.

Blocking is important for heroes in conquest, not just Hero Assault. And blocking has been around in a simple format since SWBF1. The Jedi in that game blocked everything, and were a [female dog] to kill.

I don't even know if this is relevant. I'm just tired and rambling.
I'm James, the Executive Director of Frayed Wires Studios. Check out our page for info on all our mods. We're the developers of mods like Mass Effect: Unification, and many others.
THEWULFMAN
Community Member

Xfire: thewulfman

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II