Modding the Exe.

All information and activities related to SWBF2

Re: Modding the Exe.

Postby Draigun » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:17 am

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:Now my question to this: has the exe been modded for security reasons in the past or present? Does 1.4 have a modded exe? Wasn't the CTD hack fixed with a modded exe?

If so, i call this fixing what the designers never did?

Mt

Yes, Bryant's official v1.4 patch has a modified version of the BattlefrontII.exe. Even the running client has the C2D fix.

And yes, I would also call this 'fixing what the designers never did'.
EXPERIMENT; FAIL; LEARN; REPEAT;
DEVELOP; MASTER; LIFE; COMPLETE.
Draigun
Community Member

Xfire: draigun

Postby Outrider » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 am

Col. Homestar wrote:Wow, we're really debating about the license and copyright infringements being committed against Lucasarts on an 8 year old game that sells on steam for $5 bucks? :wacko:

We were just debating whether it would technically still be illegal to modify the executable or any other important files, even with Pandemic Studios out of the picture, as LucasArts is the sole owner of the SWBF property. One side is simply pointing out that yes, this is the case, whereas the other side is acting as if SWBF2 is now in the public domain due to Pandemic's disbandment.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, Bryant's unofficial (as it is not officially supported by LucasArts) 1.4 patch was given permission by LucasArts itself to be allowed to be released after the company was briefed on what the changes to the executable were. So they didn't take legal action in that case, but the fact remains that the EULA is still effective as long as LucasArts is still around.
Outrider
Community Member

Postby (SWGO)Minas_Thirith » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 pm

i'd like a confirmation by bryant on that mather, guess i'm curios

Mt
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith
SWBF2 Admin

Steam ID: MTminas
Origin ID: SWGO-Exeon

Postby Bryant » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 pm

(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:i'd like a confirmation by bryant on that mather, guess i'm curios

Mt

[SL] FeanorGem contacted Lucas Art's legal team. It took him a lot of work (mostly involving trying to get them to respond at all), but eventually he got them to say that they wouldn't pursue any legal actions against me or anyone hosting my patches. Which is why it's hosted on the GWF site as a patched executable.

EDIT: I want to add, that I don't believe any legal action would have been taken at all - it was just a precaution that FeanorGem took for my sake.
Bryant
SWBF2 Admin

Xfire: ssmgbryant

Postby NiteRunner81 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Bryant wrote:
(SWGO)Minas_Thirith wrote:i'd like a confirmation by bryant on that mather, guess i'm curios

Mt

[SL] FeanorGem contacted Lucas Art's legal team. It took him a lot of work (mostly involving trying to get them to respond at all), but eventually he got them to say that they wouldn't pursue any legal actions against me or anyone hosting my patches. Which is why it's hosted on the GWF site as a patched executable.

EDIT: I want to add, that I don't believe any legal action would have been taken at all - it was just a precaution that FeanorGem took for my sake.

And that is why I love the video gaming community.... when a game is near EOL we have people out there looking to make sure that butts are covered for longevity to continue.
Discord tag - NiteRunner81#1981
NiteRunner81
The Big Mama

Steam ID: =NWGO=NiteRunner81
Origin ID: SWGO-DirtyNite

Previous

Return to Star Wars Battlefront II